News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

pak128.Japan

Started by yoshi, September 17, 2010, 01:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yoshi

It was already four years ago, when I started making the pakset. Unfortunately, I couldn't do much in the last two years, but I won't let it die. I'm currently a bit motivated, as the recent nightly version shows large vehicles much better. I want to make river objects at least, then I will probably hibernate again...

PAK128.Japan web site
http://pak128.jpn.org/
(I asked Isaac to delete http://yoshi.simutrans.com, as I don't want to be a burden on the server, while I cannot contribute to Simutrans.)

This is where it started.
http://archive.forum.simutrans.com/topic/03748.0/

Here you can post anything regarding pak128.Japan - questions, complaints, or whatever.

yoshi

Quote from: IgorEliezer on September 17, 2010, 03:57:45 PM
A 128japan.simutrans.com subdomain wouldn't be a burden. :)

I mean, I feel uncomfortable to use other's resources in vain, while I don't contribute to Simutrans at all, even though pak128.Japan site doesn't take much hard disk space or bandwidth. The new site is on my server space and it doesn't hurt other's wallet, even if I leave it for several years.

You might think that I can simply delete the site, but I want to keep pak128.Japan available on the internet permanently or at least in the foreseeable future, even if it's not updated, because there are some people who have been actively playing pak128.Japan and a couple of people have even been creating addons for pak128.Japan. I don't want to let them down.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I didn't explain well, maybe. :)

For example, in my case: The server exists. It has CPU, storage, bandwidth. Anything that doesn't get used goes to waste. It costs me $99/mo whether it's used or not.

So if you have a site sitting there taking up resources - it is *not* preventing someone else from using those resources - it is using resources that would go to waste.

Of course, if there's *wrong* and outdated information, maybe that's not good -- but I don't think that applies here at all in the slightest.

Now, it was mentioned that it would be easier to update files all in one place - that's a valid reason not to worry about using something on the server. No worries. :) But if the main concern is server resources - that's no worry. :)

yoshi

I know that the operating cost of the server is independent on its usage. But you know, it's not very comfortable for me to use it without contributing Simutrans much. And if I don't update the pakset (and probably I won't update much), it might be not usable any more, as Simutrans is being developped pretty fast, then the pakset would be a real waste on your serve. This is what I want to avoid.

But thank you for your generous offer. :)

greenling

Hello yoshi
What For Pakfiles Are be Useable in Pak128?
Or must i be use Your Pakset as A Separat Set
with a Own Folder and an Own Config?

Hello Isaac.Eiland-Hall
You Have A Sever!
Can you me tell who many free Harddiskspace the Sever be have!
And what´s The Storage for one Gigabyte be Cost per month!
I Want buy my own Website for my Collekte Simutrans Liberty!
Sorry for my English!

Greenling
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

yoshi

Quote from: greenling on September 25, 2010, 08:13:04 AM
Hello yoshi
What For Pakfiles Are be Useable in Pak128?
Or must i be use Your Pakset as A Separat Set
with a Own Folder and an Own Config?

It's an independent pakset. Of course, most objects can be used in the standard pak128 or any other pakset which image size is 128 pixels (this doesn't mean these objects are aesthetically compatible with other paksets), although I don't recommend such usage if you are new to Simutrans.

greenling

Yoshi
it´s Your pakset an Open Scoure or a Privats Pakset?
I Wandt Pimp my Pak128 With Some Models from Your Pakset.
I Wandt not get in Trobbel!
Greenling
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)

yoshi

Quote from: greenling on September 25, 2010, 02:37:47 PM
Yoshi
it´s Your pakset an Open Scoure or a Privats Pakset?
I Wandt Pimp my Pak128 With Some Models from Your Pakset.
I Wandt not get in Trobbel!
Greenling

The source files for most pak128.Japan objects are available on the web site above.

greenling

Yoshi
Thanks You!
For You Info.
Greenling

IgorEliezer

http://pak128.jpn.org/ is the official site? I'm going to update the Simutrans.com (http://www.simutrans.com/paksets.htm#pak128.Japan).

Besides, we can create the address (not webspace) 128japan.simutrans.com and point it to your site. If you move the stuff somewhere else, we can merely redirect the address with no problem. It's easy and no one will loose the pakset.

If you are thinking of a graphic repository for new artists, some paksets are already stored in SourceForge svn, hosting the pak128japan won't be a problem either, I believe.  :)

ӔO

on a future release, would it be possible to put shinkansen on standard gauge and the other trains on narrow (cape) gauge?

or would this break older save games?
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

yoshi

Quote from: IgorEliezer on September 28, 2010, 04:52:40 PM
http://pak128.jpn.org/ is the official site? I'm going to update the Simutrans.com (http://www.simutrans.com/paksets.htm#pak128.Japan).

Besides, we can create the address (not webspace) 128japan.simutrans.com and point it to your site. If you move the stuff somewhere else, we can merely redirect the address with no problem. It's easy and no one will loose the pakset.

If you are thinking of a graphic repository for new artists, some paksets are already stored in SourceForge svn, hosting the pak128japan won't be a problem either, I believe.  :)

Yes, http://pak128.jpn.org/ is now the official site. And it's OK to create a new subdomain (128japan.simutrans.com) and make it point to the site, although I cannot see the need to do so. By the way, screenshots on the page (http://www.simutrans.com/paksets.htm#pak128.Japan) are not from pak128.Japan. Or if they are, there are lots of addons made for the standard pak128.

I don't think it's a good idea host the files on SourceForge, as the current system works fine.

Quote from: AEO on September 28, 2010, 09:27:06 PM
on a future release, would it be possible to put shinkansen on standard gauge and the other trains on narrow (cape) gauge?

or would this break older save games?

The shinkansen is not the only railway using 1435mm gauage in Japan. There are several railways using 1435mm gauge. There are some issues, if you divide the trains depending on the track gauge.

1. There are four types of gauge width currently used for normal passenger railways in Japan, namely 762mm, 1067mm, 1372mm, and 1435mm. And trams use 1067mm, 1372mm, and 1435mm. There were some railways using 600mm, 610mm and 914mm as well. That's simply too many and trams cannot have more than one type of depot (or waytype) in Simutrans.

2. There are some railways which have changed the gauge width in their history. For instance, Keisei changed its gauge width from 1372mm to 1435mm in 1959. If you play a game only with the Keisei trains and the game passed 1959, then there would be no new vehilces in 1372mm depot, instead, you would need to sell the whole trains and replace the track with the 1435mm track. This might be enjoyable for some, but not for me at least.

3. There are some dual gauge sections, where different gauges share one track. For instane, Keikyu uses 1435mm gauge and it had a dual gauge section to allow freight trains to and from the JNR network to run. This is not supported by Simutrans.

Anyway, I don't want to make the game too complicated, I won't devide the trains by the gauge at least at this moment.

BBGunn

Is it possible to copy airport files from another 128 pak and use in pak128.japan?  I tried to copy the airports pak from pak128, which worked, but when I tried to copy airplane vehicles I would get an error message.
Another beautiful day!

私が日本語の間違いをしたら、すみません。
Desculpe-me quaisquer erros portugueses.  Sou só aprendiz.

yoshi

Quote from: Kujichagulia on October 17, 2010, 01:28:10 AM
Is it possible to copy airport files from another 128 pak and use in pak128.japan?  I tried to copy the airports pak from pak128, which worked, but when I tried to copy airplane vehicles I would get an error message.

Did you copy the cargo aircrafts as well? If so, that's probably because the goods defined in the aircrafts are not available in pak128.Japan. Copy only the passenger aircrafts, or edit the goods types of these cargo aircrafts.

BBGunn

Quote from: yoshi on October 17, 2010, 01:56:14 AM
Did you copy the cargo aircrafts as well? If so, that's probably because the goods defined in the aircrafts are not available in pak128.Japan. Copy only the passenger aircrafts, or edit the goods types of these cargo aircrafts.
I see.  Thank you very much for your fast reply!
Another beautiful day!

私が日本語の間違いをしたら、すみません。
Desculpe-me quaisquer erros portugueses.  Sou só aprendiz.

wlindley

Please clarify, what is the license on the sources -- is it free and open source? 

prissi

Elarys

I've just installed the latest from the http://pak128.jpn.org/hontai.htm.en page of the website, however I just noticed things like the water don't animate like they do on the normal pak128. How can I copy the one from pak128 to this one?

Also, to get all the addons from those others sites, do we just download all of them? (i.e I'm trying to get the most complete pak possible)

Václav

Water animation: try to look for setting of animation at first - it is possible that pak128.japan has very low speed of animation of water.
Water copying: you would need to use makeobj (or PakHelper) - and separate water from other ground graphics (if it is not already separated) in both folders (basic pak128 and pak128.japan - so at first do it with pak128.japan - and then with basic pak128) - and then it should not be problem.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

Elarys

I've figured out how to get them from the pak128 as I managed to get the source for it. But I just can't seem to find out where the source for the latest pak128.Japan is. The website only lists the previous, much older source. And AFAIK there are no tools to unpak, so I guess there is no way to replace bits of pak128.Japan on my own version.

prissi

makeobj always allows to unmerge merged paks. YOu need to replace ground.water.pak. Or make a folder in your May documents/simutrams/pak128.japan/ and copy the new ground.water.pak there. It will override the original one.

Elarys

I think I understand now, thanks! You can use makeobj to extract an 'archive' pak containing many paks. But you cannot extract to get the original png's etc.

I just have these clouds to find now, they don't look right at night. I'm still learning simutrans things, so thanks for the help so far and patience.

prissi

Those should be movingobj.clouds.pak (just the middle can be different).

Elarys

Sadly I can't find any files matching that name at all and I've done a "makeobj LIST *.pak" too, and still nothing with moving or clouds in it.

prissi

ground_obj.kumo.pak should be most likely the clouds ...

Elarys

Perfect, they've gone now. I just couldn't see what was in those 3 kumo00* paks at all so no idea. Thanks for the help prissi, really appreciate it.

Junna

What is the reason that when playing this pak everything seems to move slowly, almost as if it is lagging forward? The actual FPS seems to be the same as for other paks, but this is the only one that moves slowly in that particular way. Is it because of the scale?

An_dz

The framerate is slower in this pakset, 10 for normal and 25 for fastforward. While pak128 is 25 normal and 50 fastforward.
Try changing these strings in simuconf.tab inside pak128.Japan folder to those values:
frames_per_second = 25
fast_forward = 50

Junna

Quote from: An_dz on November 26, 2011, 09:09:23 PM
The framerate is slower in this pakset, 10 for normal and 25 for fastforward. While pak128 is 25 normal and 50 fastforward.
Try changing these strings in simuconf.tab inside pak128.Japan folder to those values:
frames_per_second = 25
fast_forward = 50

Ah, that does indeed look much better. Thanks.

Delite

I don't know what's causing this, but I keep getting some 'wrong icon errors' when using pak128.Japan though I'm using v111 so it could be compatibility issues. Help would be most appreciated.

greenling

Delite
pak128.japan it´s not be updatete for Simutrans 111.
you must be wait until yoshi have time to make a new pak128.japan.

An_dz

I'm using v111 and the pak is working fine. You should download only the first link in pak128.Japan site, don't download all. If you just got the first one explain how we can reproduce this error.

Carl

[Deleted] -only just realised that I posted without reading page 2... :::)

yoshi

I have updated pak128.Japan, as some people have already known.
Diagonal images of most railway vehicles have been redrawn to look better when diagonal_multiplier=724.