News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Looking for some trains

Started by jap train fan, March 16, 2013, 06:25:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jap train fan

Hi, I am not sure if this is the right thread but I am looking for some high speed diesel passenger trains for Pak 128, specifially the UAC TurboTrain and the Jet Train. If not are there any diesel passenger trains has speeds of at least 240kph in simutrans.

thankyou

Jap Train Fan

aliesperet

What is wrong with electric trains? Almost all high speed trains are electric..
Due to confusion because the owner of this account I emphasize: I am from Noisy-le-Sec, France

kierongreen

The fastest diesel passenger trains go in service is only 200km/h. The record on test runs isn't much more than 240km/h!

ӔO

200km/h+ diesel trains may come about, evolve, due to a number of factors.
a) track traffic does not justify electrification
b) company is too poor to electrify line (but mysteriously has enough to upgrade tracks for 200km/h+ operation)

It's certainly possible for 240km/h diesel trains to exist, but someone will have to paint this hypothetical, futuristic train.

P.S. Wasn't there a train called the "Panthress" or something? If I remember correctly, it was the diesel counterpart to Tigress.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

jap train fan

@kierongreen
The UAC Turbotrain axchieved speeds of 270kph (not in service) and the Jet Train (not mass produced yet) runs at 240kph as the diesel conterpart of the Acela Express.

@AEO
I was more thinking of a). It could run High speed on dedicated track and also on non electrified lines that does not justify electrification (eg lines to small towns) allowing for through service with faster journey times

kierongreen

Neither of those trains were diesel, they were gas turbine, and in anycase both managed less than 200km/h in service. Speeds in simutrans reflect service speeds, not one off test runs. The low marginal cost of electrifying high speed track means there's no point in using anything other than electric.

jap train fan

@kierongreen
quoting wikipedia
JetTrain was designed to use petroleum-based fuel to power a diesel engine and multiple turboshaft engines for higher speeds.
With two power cars, one at the front and one at the rear, the train reaches 240 km/h (149 mph), with a maximum speed of 265 km/h (165 mph)

Sarlock

There's certainly a big difference between what is technically possible and has been experimentally attempted and what is practical and used in a mass scale.  So far, electrification is the chosen method for high speed trains and therefore I think it's appropriate that pak128 uses electrification for its high speed services.

It's probably unlikely that diesel will become a significant factor in high speed train use.  As mentioned above, if you can afford to upgrade the tracks to handle high speeds you can easily afford to electrify it... and electric trains offer a lot of advantages over diesel.

It would be very easy, however, to take one of the existing pak128 trains and change it from electric to diesel if you are so inclined.
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

kierongreen

Note that for the JetTrain the diesel engine only powers it at slow speeds, at high speeds turbines take over. Regardless it's never actually seen commercial service - with current trends in oil prices and environmental concerns I can't see any high speed rail being powered by onboard fossil fuel burning at all. The extra weight of having these engines onboard makes it impractical even if high speed operation is electric and fossil fuels are only used on slower unelectrified lines.

jap train fan

@Sarlock
Looking through my addons list in one of my other paksets, I have found a diesel loco that does 280kph and some carriages that do 240kph. Thanks to Raven at http://128.simutrans.com/raven/main/us_tset.html (traced it back to him via a quick google search)

@kierongreen
The Jet Train this could work in real life in situations like NSW to replace the old XPTs (Australian version of HST). With its tiliting technology it would work on our old Victorian tracks but thats for another forum.

anyway thanks guys

greenling

Hello Jap Train Fan
The Addons from raven need a workaround they was be make for simutrans 0.88.xx and 0.90.xx.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

jap train fan

what workarouds are you talking about?  i have put them in the latest pak 128 britian and i see no problems with them.