Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10
You also renamed the Hendington stations.
Made a new Airport line from Dillgate instead of the LONG service from Hendington. Anyways, I'll give you the map that we are gonna work on later.
Simutrans Extended Discussion / Re: How To Make Profit in 1750?
« Last post by zook2 on Today at 11:33:55 AM »
Ves pretty much beat me to it. It wouldn't make sense for new industry, but during map generation it would. At least for industries that employ a lot of people, like coal mines. Orchards, not so much.
Yes. What exactly have you done apart from the airport?
« Last post by jamespetts on Today at 11:13:38 AM »
I know this is derailing the topic further, but would it not be possible for the industry code to call "build city" if, say there is no other city within walking distance (max walking distance would be set in simuconf tab and should be like 6-10 km. Could even change during timeline to allow for longer distances)?
Only problem would be to find a good location for the city, but that maybe could be solved by duplicate the initial build city routine that is utilized on startup but within the "walking distance" radius only? The build city routine would know it should only place one city with very few inhabitants. Since it is the same routine as the one placing the initial cities, it would already try and place the city in the most optimum position, just like on game startup.

It would be very odd for new, fully-formed towns to appear out of nowhere just because a new industry opened. Do not forget that this would name no sense in modern times when people and goods can much more easily be transported long distances.
« Last post by Ves on Today at 11:07:50 AM »
I know this is derailing the topic further, but would it not be possible for the industry code to call "build city" if, say there is no other city within walking distance (max walking distance would be set in simuconf tab and should be like 6-10 km. Could even change during timeline to allow for longer distances)?
Only problem would be to find a good location for the city, but that maybe could be solved by duplicate the initial build city routine that is utilized on startup but within the "walking distance" radius only? The build city routine would know it should only place one city with very few inhabitants. Since it is the same routine as the one placing the initial cities, it would already try and place the city in the most optimum position, just like on game startup.

And I also support all industries no matter the distance to any industries, have at least a dirt road connected to a city or a main road between cities.
Kk. Anyway, do you like my modifications to the map?
« Last post by jamespetts on Today at 10:45:07 AM »
Hello James!
I would disagree here. In the real world farms are frequently on the edges of towns, just where most consuming industries in Simutrans-Extended are placed. After all farms need workers and consumers. As to resource locations like collieries, iron ore mines, clay pits. etc. in the real world towns would have formed close to natural resource locations, after all workers need to live somewhere. Since we cannot bring towns to resource locations in Simutrans we may as well bring resource locations to town then. :)

An exception would probably be the forest/sawmill combo we have in Simutrans-Extended. Logging camps should certainly be away from town, sawmills closer to town however. Since we have these functions combined both locations close and away from town could be possible.

There is a difference between being in a town and being near a town. There is currently no mechanism for the latter. Farms were clearly not ever truly inside towns; rather, towns were built between farms such that all farms were (just about) in walking distance of (rather than actually inside) a town.  Industries are only built on the edges of towns because there is no good mechanism at present for replacing town buildings with industries, but it is planned to rectify that.

Yes, sure, on all maps I have seen all bookbinders are always away from town like in this screenshot: http://files.simutrans.com/index.php/s/tPC9MMv5yiU9uon

That is very odd - I will have to look into this.
Good, I've updated it and modified alot of thing becos I have OCD. xD Heres the updated map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bzy63vjRdV2_SFVmZy03YmhUeDA. Anyways, if you want we can build a newer version of the map using the pak128.britain pakset.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10