News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Thanks for the Game

Started by ACM, December 01, 2012, 11:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACM

Hi there,

I've been lurking this forum for a long time now, but only now have I decided to make a post here. I might as well share with you my history with the game.

I first stumbled upon Simutrans in late 2004; I can't remember where on the internet I found it. From screenshots, the game looked like a funny little Transport Tycoon clone with cute graphics. So while carrying my experience with Transport Tycoon over, the first thing that struck me when playing was the completely different passenger generation system- they now had predetermined destinations you have to take them to! This threw me off guard at first but I eventually became captivated by the system- suddenly using small busses as well as trains was actually required. This was so much more interesting than Transport Tycoon's method of just placing down two stations for all your passenger generation needs and using trains for everything.

I didn't stick around the game for too long though at the time. I only played one game up to 20 years, by which point I had connected everything and got bored. I then forgot about Simutrans.

Fast forward to the beginning of 2009; I had a moment of boredom, and I remembered that little game I was once captivated by. I decide to check it out again and notice how much has changed. I set everything up and try to seriously get back into it and play some long games. I tried out various paksets and map setting, but I always seemed to get put off from my games before long- the longest of which only lasted for 35 years. What happened was I kept finding quirks and imbalances in either the paksets or the game itself that I would take issue with. Eventually I discovered how all the game mechanics worked and realised how easy it was to game the system, by that point I got put off from the game again.

Even though I couldn't bring myself to get into the game, I still saw so much potential in it. I kept looking back on the main page and forums to read up on updates and bug fixes, to see if anything peaked my interest. Which is why I was enthusiastic from hearing about the Experimental branch, because it saught to fix all the things I took issue with in the standard game. The only problem though was it was still in early development and had little pakset support.

So to this day, I kept watching silently on the sidelines in anticipation for any interesting news on changes and updates.

And so I wanted to post here: thank you all for the time you continue to put into developing and improving this game. I very much appreciate it and look forward to seeing whatever future progress is made.

I've been partaking in the most recent bridgewater-brunel.me.uk game as the operator of ACMGo.

jamespetts

Welcome to the forums! I am glad that you are enjoying Simutrans, and particularly Simutrans-Experimental on the Bridgewater-Brunel server: it is very good to see one's work paying off. You have built up quite a network in the North-East!

I am always trying to improve the balance, so if you have any suggestions or feedback about specific things that do and don't work, please do let me know.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.