News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

More city buildings

Started by Archon, February 13, 2010, 10:47:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kierongreen

Yes - I think it's something that should definitely be brought to both Standard and Experimental.

wlindley

As long as you give the car-parks or garages the same passenger level as their matching buildings, you could use the clustering feature (introduced May 2013) to group them:

Quote from: neroden on May 02, 2013, 12:43:15 AM
There are 32 possible clusters (numbered 1 through 32) available for a pakset.  Buildings do not have to be part of any cluster, and are not part of any cluster by default.  A building may be part of two or more different clusters.  (It's a bitfield...)

I would suggest putting rowhouses and other buildings which fill from side-property-line to side-property-line into clusters...

Archon

yeah I really would like variable size citybuildings and alpha channel support.
having parks with same level as towers would help but not ideal solution.
City generation stuff would be high on my list of things needing overhaul.

anyway here is latest batch

--------------

--------------

jamespetts

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Archon

Is there rules for building levels? some buildings seem to have inconsistent levels.

Anyway, here is next project. Was shocked about 50s office building variety so I had to do something about it.

Still work in progress . Roof texture looks better after you stare it for hour or so.
Not sure if I keep corner building style for final version.

jamespetts

Splendid! If there is inconsistency of levels, perhaps this needs investigating more generally; if the thought that there is inconsistency is incorrect, perhaps the basis for the levels could do with explaining

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

The Hood

There are no rules really at the minute. It needs looking at but I was postponing that until we had a larger collection of buildings. TBH I still don't properly understand how it all works with level, probability etc. I think probability is just within a level, i.e. once the city has decided to build a certain level it then chooses out of the buildings of that level according to probabiltiy. But ideally you could encourage lower levels over higher levels as we don't have too many high-rise in the UK.

kierongreen

Probability only affects which buildings of a particular level are chosen, not what the level is in the first place. A problem with the building code is that high level buildings are strongly preferred - resulting in large numbers of tower blocks. This cannot be fixed at a pakset level but would need to be fixed in simutrans itself.

Archon

I managed to arrange all commercial buildings by level.
most level 10 and below seem ok. fried chicken and small office block look significantly smaller other buildings their level.
level 12 and above many wlindley's buildings have quite high levels for their size.

I think we should sort at least all commercial buildings to few categories(like level 5, 8, 10, 14, 18, 24, 30 etc) and have few official reference buildings in each category. New buildings could then be easily compared against references and categoriced.

EDIT: Got offices ready!
I think this is about as tall as this building should go. If you really think it could be taller and not fall over I might make one more version.

--------------------------------------

The Hood

Thanks for that. Your suggestions seems good - happy for you to place the existing buidlings in new level categories. Does anyone know what sort of range we should have for level? 0-20? 0-50?

Archon

I would suggest levels 5, 8, 10, 14, 18, 24, 30 and 36.
My tallest tower blocks are level 36 and I feel that they fit quite well (shorter tower blocks how ever should have little lower levels).
Those towers are practicaly tallest buildings you can have 256 pixels high.

We could have similar scale for RES and COM buildings and different one for industry.

Aquin

Quote from: Archon on August 26, 2014, 10:11:09 PM
EDIT: Got offices ready!
I think this is about as tall as this building should go. If you really think it could be taller and not fall over I might make one more version.
Looks great!
But I don't think it should be any taller, but an inbetween version with 2 stories in the upper part could be nice.

jamespetts

I like these new office buildings and agree that they need not be taller. As to the level, it seems sensible to have an ordered system, and reference buildings are definitely a good idea, as that is an easy means of calibration.

I should note that the next version of Experimental will have a different system that largely replaces "level" for city buildings, although the level is used to set default values if the new parameters are not present.

Milko

Archon, your buildings are beautiful !!!!

Giuseppe

Archon

Next office building turned out lot more ugly.
walls may be still bit too dark but other than that it is ok.

Sarlock

I like "ugly"... those are excellent!  Your level of detail is impressive, you've squeezed a lot of components in to a small area.
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

Archon

Made taller version of last building + something extra.

------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------

The Hood

Wow. 1960s era is going to look very realistic...

jamespetts

That latter building is more late 1960s/early 1970s, I think. Incidentally, especially are more buildings are added, I should urge the developers of the Standard version of this pakset to do what I have been doing with the Experimental version for some time, and have building introduction dates that are not all rounded to the nearest decade year, but are at arbitrary (but well spread) years and months so that a whole lot of buildings are not suddenly introduced all at once and then no new buildings for 10 game years.

Archon

Yes, that later is modeled after lowry house completed in 1973.

Here is another from 71. It has quite lot window surface that doesn't look good.

The Hood

I like it - what's not to like (apart from the architecture of course!)

Vladki

Hmm, I just wonder how would they look side by side. Shouldn't there be a small sidewalk around them to separate the towers from each other?

Archon

Buildings with lot of glass are really hard to make look good. This one turned ok but had to make blue little brighter than I would like to.
Had some trouble making this one fit. There is not enough room for sidewalks or anything else here.

----------------------

jamespetts

Ahh, the joys of the 1970s!

Archon

Another 70s office tower. I would like to have another 50s office tower but that has to wait. I am going to do few older offices next.

-----------------------------

-----------------------------

jamespetts

Splendid progress. Here is a video that might contain some inspiration (if any were needed, which it seems possibly not): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WhhSBgd3KI (especially near the beginning).

Sarlock

Wow.  You're a machine!  These look amazing.

Archon

Well . . .  it seems that tinypic ate most of my images . . .

I figured out how to use web space that comes with my internet connection.
Up side with it is that I can upload what ever I want. Downside it has only 25MB of space.

Archon

Got last project finished.
Another office building. Now I remember how sadistic buildings with 8 rotations are to make.

jamespetts

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Archon, would you like me to set up archon.simutrans.com for your use? It'd technically be a full cPanel hosting account; you'd have full control. Far more than 25mb of storage. :)

Vladki

8 rotations? As i see 4 for house in a row and 4 for house on a corner. Is that documented somewhere?

Sarlock

pak128.Britain makes use of a lot of 8 rotation building designs.  As you can see in the house design, it's SE, NE, NW, SW for rotations 4-7.

The Hood

Looks good- but with that last one the colours and texture make it seem like it has painted wooden panelling which would be odd for a building like that (at least in the UK). I assume it's meant to be rendered stone - perhaps make the bottom less blue and the top more grey? Or more of a sandstone colour?

Archon

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on September 06, 2014, 09:57:32 PM
Archon, would you like me to set up archon.simutrans.com for your use? It'd technically be a full cPanel hosting account; you'd have full control. Far more than 25mb of storage. :)
Thanks, but I think I try to survive with my 25MB for now. If I  upload only pngs I need to make over 50 new buildings to fill it.

Quote from: The Hood on September 07, 2014, 04:44:48 PM
Looks good- but with that last one the colours and texture make it seem like it has painted wooden panelling which would be odd for a building like that (at least in the UK). I assume it's meant to be rendered stone - perhaps make the bottom less blue and the top more grey? Or more of a sandstone colour?
It is supposed to be some kind of stone and really doesn't look too good. I made new version with brick like texture.