News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

One-way sign for rail

Started by AP, August 31, 2012, 07:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

Quote from: Fifty on August 31, 2012, 05:11:41 PM
Quote from: AP on August 31, 2012, 05:08:01 PM
i.e. a "one way sign" for rail
Such a thing exists, at least in pak 64 and pak 128. I think it's called "rail close" or something like that.

The discussion over in "extension requests" reminded me of this. It was discussed ages ago, but I don't recall the conclusion. I don't think we yet have one in pak-GB (& pak-GB-experimental)? I found myself wanting one again only a couple of weeks ago. I appreciate it's not a high priority, but wondered if it is on a roadmap somewhere?

jamespetts

I don't think that we do have one. What are use cases for one way signs, bearing in mind that all signals can be made one way?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

AP

The circumstance I wanted one recently is similar to the previous occasions I've wanted to use one: typically in a complex junction or station throat, where you want to direct how trains move across the different lines (e.g. an 'in' and an 'out'), to maximise efficiency; but to prevent gridlock you absolutely do not want them stopping at a signal part-way across, because that breaks the whole thing.

Without such a sign/signal, junctions either become just a mass of track (one train at a time and hope for the best) or start involving tunnels, bridges and far more space than necessary (to avoid crossing paths and in order to leave a train's length behind each signal). I accept it's a more advanced feature, but I think it sits alongside choose signals and long-block signals as a useful item once a game gets busier.

I presume since it's already coded, maybe it just needs someone to produce a pretty graphic? Maybe just two white lines on the sleepers between the tracks, making an arrow, if there isn't a real-life precedent.

jamespetts

Yes, it does just need a graphic. There isn't a specific sign for this, but I have a feeling that there might some sort of indication in some places whether a track is bidirecitonal or not - but I'm not sure how they manifest themselves or whether graphics represnting that would be suitable for these purposes.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

ӔO

Going by this: http://www.railsigns.co.uk/home.html

I think the signal would either have to be 3, 5 or 11. Relating to shunting or point signals.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

How about the "no entry" sign at 25.19?

AP

I wonder about the catch-point signs? ( [11.25] here ) Because by implication, they are only safely passable in one direction only. Although obviously catch points are not properly used in the middle of junctions, they were used right through the steam era until very recently, so there is a full set of signage for them; I just read (here) that BR started abolishing catch points on main lines in the 1970s (though trap points in sidings remain common).

ӔO

ah, I missed that no-entry sign.
I think that would be a good and easy to understand sign.

Colour safe chart:

AP

Quote from: jamespetts on September 01, 2012, 11:42:19 AM
How about the "no entry" sign at 25.19?
Excellent for the modern era, but we need one for the steam era too.

I think maybe an anonymous little square sign (it's not like there are others to cofuse it with in-game) - based on the Limit-of-Shunt /Catch point marker - would serve, replaced by the big X sign at a suitable date.

ӔO

I think end of choose signals use some shunting signals.

Colour safe chart:

AP

jamespetts

Quote from: ӔO on September 01, 2012, 03:30:53 PM
I think end of choose signals use some shunting signals.

They shouldn't look like active signals, though, as they have only one state.

The Hood

I've added a very basic signal - it looks like the catch point sign in the link - a white triangle on a post.

jamespetts

Ahh, splendid! Where are the sources, may I ask?

The Hood

AP

Out of interest, how does one determine when placing, which direction the one way sign is operating? Does it have a "front" and a "back" ?

The Hood

Vladki

Quote from: The Hood on November 06, 2012, 08:04:06 AM
White = front, black = back

It is still quite confusing. Is the meaning of the sign white = allowed, black = blocked direction ?
Anyway it is badly positioned on diagonals, which make it impossible to guess the right direction.
A change in code would help the positioning, but would also change the meaning of colors.

Image[0]=rail-one-way.0.1
Image[1]=rail-one-way.0.0
Image[2]=rail-one-way.0.3
Image[3]=rail-one-way.0.2

For clear indication which way is allowed I would do a sing based on buffer stop lights [22.9]
http://www.railsigns.uk/sect22page1/sect22page1.html
Perhaps making it red in one (blocked) direction and white in other (allowed) direction.

Vladki

How would you like this?

jamespetts

I have to say, that does look clearer. I often find the one way sign for rail hard to decipher, and it will become much more important with the next release of Experimental in which signals do not restrict direction of travel.