News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Warehouses - as temporary storage place for transported goods

Started by Václav, October 29, 2013, 09:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Václav

I found this idea in commercial Transport Giant, I currently play to find some ideas for industry chains.

Even if I don't like TG's signal system, because it is a very simplified and complicated together, warehouses as a temporar storage place for transported goods is a very good idea.

How it runs:
Train A goes from food factory to city - where food is unloaded.
City demands only few food.
Without warehouse, train has to wait until city takes all food.
With warehouse, expletive food goes to warehouse (but city cannot use it).

Train B goes from textile factory to city - where clothes are unloaded.
City demands only few clothes.
Without warehouse, train has to wait until city takes all clothes.
With warehouse, expletive food goes to warehouse (but city cannot use it) - but expletive food may be loaded and transported to warehouse by station from which train transported clothes.

Train C can load expletive food - and deliver to another city.

Surely, this runs also in Simutrans, but it is a very limited - and uncotrollable.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

IgorEliezer

Umm, I've never tried to use extension buildings to expand the capacity of an end-consumer stop|station. Would it work?

Besides, what you mean by "expletive" is "exceeding", right? ;)

Václav

yes, expletive as exceeding

It is not about expanding of capacity - because most stations have any capacity without any extension. It is mostly about handling of transported goods in stations.

Factory (production 50) -> Vehicle (capacity 20) -> City (consumption 10)

Factory (supply factory) - remaining production 10
City (consumer factory) - exceeding supply 5

Currently, if consumer factory has full inner storage places, supply factory ends its production.
It is right - but inner storage places cannot have unlimited capacity.

So, if consumption of consumer factory is (for example) 10, then capacity of inner warhouse should be max. 15 or 20. It is logic that warhouse's capacity cannot be unlimited.

And what with exceeding supply? There are two ways:
1. Wait for unload until free space will be in inner storage place
2. Unload it into warhouse station's warhouse (with possibility of delayed taking into consumer factory or without this possibility)

And these exceeding supplies, unloaded into station's warhouse, may be transported into further destinations - with suitable vehicles.
But it would be needed to add option Don't load into line orders (currently there is only 0% in meaning load at least ...). Because else those goods from exceeding supply could be moved into unwanted destination.

In TG it is a bit simplified with automatic changing of waggons together with transported goods. So, train may transport apples in one direction - and coal in other direction. But else, it is very good way how to deliver goods into as many consumers as possible with minimum costs. And of course, it cannot be used at all cases.

Ters

It doesn't make sense for a consumer to order more than it can have in storage, and rely on the carrier to take care of the rest in the meantime. I don't think that's how the world works, and therefore see no reason to change Simutrans.

Combuijs

Quote from: Ters on October 30, 2013, 06:03:56 AM
It doesn't make sense for a consumer to order more than it can have in storage, and rely on the carrier to take care of the rest in the meantime. I don't think that's how the world works, and therefore see no reason to change Simutrans.

Very true, but it can be a valid distribution option for the factory. The problem is, we are simulating a transport network, not a factory distribution strategy.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Václav

Quote from: Combuijs on October 30, 2013, 11:37:20 AM
Very true, but it can be a valid distribution option for the factory. The problem is, we are simulating a transport network, not a factory distribution strategy.
So, may it be - but still, option Don't load in line orders would be very useful, because 0% means load at least 0%, but not Don't load.

And option Don't load was, if I am not wrong, already called as extension. May it be that not separately, but probably it was discussed, at least.

isidoro

In fact, I proposed a "Max load" option in addition to the "Min load" option time ago, in order for a convoy to be able to load half coal from one station and half from another one in the way, for example.

The "No load" option seems to be a particular case ("Max load=0%"), but one has to be careful.  What happens when a coal train arrives at a station with "Max load=0%"?  Should it unload the cargo?  If yes, there are subtle implications: in present ST there is a connection if there is a line between two stations.  But in the "Max load=0%" case, it can happen that there is a line but no connection.  The "Max load=0%" points break the line in parts.

I even programmed the patch time ago considering the above mentioned facts.

Václav

isidoro,
that order should not be on station - but in line orders.

I have not anything against option load (at least) 0% - because such option should be in line orders too - mostly for purposes of city mass transit. But it is needed to improve line orders by adding option of no loading.

Vladki

Hi, I was thinking about the idea of storing unloaded goods on station. I came up with this idea.

First - factory that produces goods moves them to station, and when station storage is full, then it starts to fill its own storage, and when that is full as well stops producing at all.

For consumers it should be the other way round. Train unloads cargo to station storage and then the cargo is moved to factory to be consumed. If the factory storage is full, then the cargo should stay in station storage.

But what if station storage is full as well? Should cargo stay on the train? This could lead to nasty deadlocks especially with passengers/mail that could not unload on overcrowded stations thus blocking seat for passengers that want to board. But it might work when options like avoid-overcrowded are enabled.

Ters

If a carrier can't deliver it's goods at the destination because the one that ordered it refuses, the carrier will either just dump the goods on the ground, or take it back to where the carrier picked it up and dump it there. The carrier will likely still request normal payment, as it's the consumers fault that he ordered too much. It's much the same with passengers, except that they probably don't have to pay as the capacity problems aren't their fault.

isidoro

@Václav: I meant "on stations [that appear in line orders]".  Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.  So, I think it applies to your idea.

Václav