News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

r7048 - Something is wrong with schedules (or something else)

Started by Ters, January 30, 2014, 08:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ters

I noticed a traffic jam caused by a vehicle waiting at a stop where it is only supposed to unload. The tooltip for the vehicle read "Loading (100%->0%)", which doesn't make any sense. The receiving industry should have no problems receiving the cargo, even if wait for unload was implemented. Pressing the Unload only button, which I normally use to release vehicles from the waiting orders prematurely, had no effect. The vehicle's schedule has waypoints, which is a feature that has been changed recently.

Possibly related things which I've seen earlier is a vehicle heading back to producer with the goods still on board, and some oddities with different revenue per trip for two vehicles operating on the same line. These may have another cause, as I had been editing their schedules recently. These vehicles also have waypoints in their schedules.

prissi

Does the vehicle path somehow crosses itself?

A quick test game showed no problem, so I am not sure if the other errors are of transient nature.

Ters

I think a save-load cycle may be involved (except for the payment issue, but that may be unrelated). The path does not cross itself, unless you count the return trip, which should follow exactly the same path back.

I've got a save game that reproduces the problem, but it's 21 MB, too large for the simutrans-germany.com/files. Even if I try to split the it into smaller chunks, it still won't accept them, without giving any reason. I'm very reluctant to register somewhere else to upload stuff.

prissi

It might be rather an issue with loading times; especially if it say from 100->0. Once I had a savegame where all times were seriously wrong. Does a saveload fix it?

whoami

With an older savegame (vom r5830), I experienced several network problems (total lock-ups) with r7049. It looks like jumping trains again (that had often happened in that map with even older ST versions), but the involved trains seem to have skipped a stop in their schedule. This bug report gives me a hint that the latter may be the actual cause, if there is a bug in schedules after reloading. EDIT: there are waypoints in the affected schedules, too, as mentioned in the first post.
EDIT2: check convoy 778 (line 489) in http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/PC184G1_594_r5830.sve (activate pause to catch this train in time): it approaches and passes a waypoint and then skips the following station. But do not open the schedule before that happens, because that seems to prevent the bug from showing up (or whatever the reason is why reproducing it sometimes fails).
EDIT3: this map may also cause deadlocks by itself because of the overloaded network - the changed loading times (especially for long trains) cause backlogs so bad that this map cannot be used any more, except by rebuilding several stations to be large enough.

@Ters: the file exchange server accepts only certain file types, so the follow-up parts may not be accepted.

Ters

Quote from: prissi on January 31, 2014, 11:34:09 AM
It might be rather an issue with loading times; especially if it say from 100->0. Once I had a savegame where all times were seriously wrong. Does a saveload fix it?

The vehicle is still stuck at 100% -> 0% after saving and reloading.

I've been looking more closely at the vehicle (a road vehicle). Its schedule is Brewery -> waypoint -> waypoint -> Market -> waypoint -> waypoint. The first and fourth, and second and third waypoints are on the same tiles. At the time the game is loaded, it is at the brewery waiting for clearance. Its destination is waypoint, which according to its schedule is the first waypoint. Upon reaching the first waypoint (where it changes direction, since it didn't chose the intended way there), the destination changes to Market. Upon reaching the second waypoint (as it starts moving onto the tile), the destination changes to the fourth waypoint, although the vehicle proceeds to the market.

Opening the schedule while the vehicle is en route cures it. If I do it before it reaches the second waypoint, it proceeds to the market and unloads just fine. If I do it after that, but before it reaches the market, it turns around immediately and heads for the fourth waypoint.

Quote from: whoami on January 31, 2014, 02:40:45 PM
@Ters: the file exchange server accepts only certain file types.
Apparently it doesn't just check the extension, which I tried to keep as .sve, which it should otherwise accept.

whoami

The skipping matches my observation, but it probably does not matter if there are several waypoints (of one schedule) on a single tile.

prissi

The jump only happens after loading. It should be fixed in r7052

The blocking happens due to too short stations while waiting for full load imho.

Ters

Loading the troublesome savegame with r7052 causes no blocking at the market, so the bug appears fixed. But I notice that the vehicle that used to cause the problem no longer appears at the same place it used to with r7048. It now loads a tile or two further down the road, rather than inside the loading bay at the brewery. I find it difficult to say which position is the correct one, though.