News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

The Message Centre.

Started by HarrierST, December 07, 2015, 01:25:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrierST

Playing Pak64  version 120.1.1.

I noticed that the message centre seems to keep every message from the start of the game. Unless I have missed something.

I am only 9 years into my first game, but it seems to me this feature, as the game progress's will  use up a lot of memory.

I know you can deselect some messages, but I think a nice addition would be the ability to delete all messages from a selected year and earlier.

Example.

You are in 1960. You have all selected messages from 1930.

In the message centre.

Select a remove messages button, enter the earliest year you want to keep messages from. i.e 1950.

After confirmation, all messages from 1930 to 1949 will be removed. (freeing up memory) and more importantly shortening the list of unneeded messages.

Just a thought.

DrSuperGood

I am only 9 years into my first game, but it seems to me this feature, as the game progress's will  use up a lot of memory.
I would not be worried about that. Considering each MB is enough for ~1 million characters, you will practically not notice the memory used.

Also from experience messages do eventually get removed. This is best seen on servers where very old chat messages eventually expire.

prissi

It keeps (for saving) the last 2000 messages of each category and all the player chat (or until 32765). Since saving/reloading happens frequently in Online games, and probably at least once a day in normal games, this should be not much of an issue; and you have to compare it with probably millions of passenger/ware data traveling around the map.