News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

some requests

Started by jomoyama, November 21, 2016, 11:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomoyama

Hello.
Now I'm playing Simutrans-Experimental_161113b_7e387a3 from http://server.exp.simutrans.com/Devel-new-builds/
I have some requests of Simutrans-Experimental.
Even if my opinions were unreasonable, please see to the end and ignore.

1.Can't scrolling in Experimental tab in the setting window.

2.I want to change "meters_per_tile" from the setting window.

3.I want to change "way_height_clearance",the function that there is in standard, but it doesn't appear in the setting window.

4.More than one permissive constraint of the vehicle.
(Some vehicle needs to shuttle back and forth between the sections of ACHighSpeedCatenary and ACRailCatenary, AC and DC, etc.)

5.Speedsignal of Track circuit or Cab signaling.
(In Japan, yellow(attention) or yellow-green(deceleration)lights usually have the speedlimits.
I want to set it in .dat or Simuconf)
literature :

Thank you for watch.

jamespetts

Thank you for your suggestions. I should note that there are few active developers for Simutrans-Experimental, and a very large queue of things waiting to be done at present, so, unless some more developers become active soon, even sensible suggestions may have to wait a considerable time before being implemented. To take each suggestion in turn:

(1) this is sensible in principle, but is not a high priority compared to other things and is likely to take quite a lot of work, as the UI is difficult to work with;

(2) this is not possible because a number of things have their values set once based on the meters per tile setting when the game is first initialised, and do not refer back to this setting during the game;

(3) this may be worth looking into at some point;

(4) I am not sure what you mean by this exactly; there can be up to 8 permissive and 8 prohibitive constraints per vehicle or way already; and

(5) see the more detailed explanation below.

In relation to the signals, speed signalling in the sense of signals that set a specific speed limit has been discussed at considerable length. It has been considered impractical because that speed limit is based on the signals being set a specific distance from one another in real life, and based also on the specific braking characteristics of the trains that are expected to use them. The limit is set thus because that is the calculated speed in which a train can stop in time for the next signal that is likely to be at danger given those two parameters. In Simutrans, there is no (practicable) way of making a user place signals at a certain specific distance or use only trains with a certain level of braking performance on a particular stretch of line. Signals in Simutrans-Experimental thus work by calculating when the train needs to brake to stop at the next signal that might, so far as the driver is presumed from the signal aspects given to be aware, be at danger. In practical and economic terms, this has a very similar effect to that of speed signals, save that the braking distance is calculated on the fly on the basis of the train's actual braking performance and the distance between signals, and is not a fixed limit.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

jomoyama

Thank you for your quick responce, and I understood about 1, 2, 3 and5.

Electrification system shuld use "permissive constraint" but if I assigned to "AC electrified" and "AC electrified" for a vehicle, way must have both "AC" and "DC",
so it seems that we can't make the train that can drive on both DC electrified section and AC electrified section.

And if I use "prohibit", this problem is cleared but other vehicle like diesel or steam car can't drive on the way, so this is also inappropriate.

Sorry for my poor English.

jamespetts

Ahh - for electrification, at least, the solution is simply to mark the vehicle as electric and not to set any permissive constraints. Then, it will be able to use any electrified way, but will only be able to travel over electrified ways (as in Simutrans-Standard).

I hope that this makes sense.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Rollmaterial

I would say electrification needs a way constraint type of its own that would merely control whether the vehicle can provide traction. For further precision there could be a feature that allows different performances depending on which traction mode it is running in.

PS: James, are you having trouble with the route reservation bug I reported earlier?

jamespetts

Ahh - you mean that electric vehicles could be dragged by other types of motive power? That would only be useful if either out of depot convoy recombination were implemented, or multiple traction types per vehicle (e.g. electro-diesel). Those are both planned for the future.

As to the route reservation bug, I do plan to get around to it, but I have been away from home for the past few days, and need to finish working on the multi-threading.