News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

[Devel-new-2] Freight transshipment crashes the game

Started by midoritetori, December 09, 2016, 05:18:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

midoritetori

(My save file is too large so I uploaded it on a Google drive: Download the save file.)

I've now playing Simutrans Devil-new-2 (more specifically, 161204_b6ce446. But the compile date seems not to related the problem) To notice, I have played on very large map (2047*2047) and I am on the Windows 7 x64.
I have made coal transshipment system near Tendon (Please open the save file. For convenience I uploaded a screenshot on my Google Drive. )

But coal disappears when it arrives at the Tendon and the game is turned off with an error. I can't find the reason why, and other factors (like passengers) seems not to make any crashes against the game. I would appreciate some feedback.

jamespetts

Thank you for your report. Looking at your saved games, there are no trains transporting coal, so I do not understand how the situation that you describe arises. Can you elaborate?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

midoritetori

The Coal Mine can be connected to at least two Power stations, and I tried to connect the coal mine and nearest power station via trucks. So I made a transshipment system of trucks via the train station (and I will put the train to other power station to transport coal, if the game haven't crashed). Moreover I have set trucks move to the destination only if they are full.

The problem is a transshipment system that is composed of trucks crushes the game. I have once connected a coal mine and a power station directly, and it does not crash the game.

jamespetts

Can you upload a saved game in which this crash can be reproduced reliably without further user intervention?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

midoritetori

I have found that my original save file crashes game only if I tried to check the truck from the Tendon to the Power station. (Just clicking a truck crashes the game.) In addition, if I set the truck from Tendon to the power station when the truck is full then the game crashes.

In both case I have clicked the "Fast Forward" button and I don't know it is one of a factor to crash the game. The problem happens on the save file I have uploaded. (Does the crash doesn't happens on your computer, or the save file I have uploaded is not available?)

I have made similar conditions on a smaller map and I've found that the crash doesn't happen in that case. Maybe my computer affects the problem because my hard disk is too old and sometimes out of work :( I will open the map uploaded previously on the new computer (if available) and report how it works.

jamespetts

I am afraid that I cannot reproduce this: I tried clicking on lorries of the two routes that are present, but neither of them results in a crash. Are you sure that I have the right saved game?

midoritetori

Yes. It is a correct save file. I have re-installed the game and downloaded the uploaded save file and it crashes the game for me.

jamespetts

Can you tell me which number of truck that you have to click on to make it crash, and what the game's internal time needs to be for this to happen?

midoritetori

(Sorry for late reply due to my final exam.)
Even one truck makes a crash. Even worse, I have found that the game crashes after some time (even if I haven't put trucks on the game.)

I have tested 6 times to check when the game crashes, but the time is not constant. Here is a list of internal time when the game crashes. I clicked "Fast Forward" in all cases and doing something is likely to crush game earlier.

Winter 1914 January 1:50:32/6:24:00
Winter 1914 January 1:37:23/6:24:00
Winter 1914 January 3:11:58/6:24:00
Winter 1914 January 2:52:16/6:24:00
Winter 1914 January 2:41:44/6:24:00
Winter 1914 January 1:40:13/6:24:00
Winter 1914 January 1:31:44/6:24:00
Winter 1914 January 1:19:31/6:24:00

+ I have made a test without checking "Fast Forward", but it doesn't help. It just delays the time when the game crashes (1:30:00 to 5:20:00.)

jamespetts

Thank you very much for that; I hope that your final examination went well. Because I am currently visiting my parents for the Chrismtas holidays, I will not be able to look into this until I return in about the second week of January. Thank you for the report, however; it is much appreciated.

midoritetori

I've found that the standard map with "Fast Forward" also crashes the game :( . I loaded some save files which was playable before terrible crashes are caused, and the game crashes after some time. Probably my problem is not on my save file.

jamespetts

When you refer to the "standard map", do you mean the demo that is loaded when the game is started (i.e. the very thin map with "Christminster" visible)?

jamespetts

I cannot reproduce this, I am afraid (albeit with the latest commit). For how long do you need to fast forward the game for the crash to occur?

midoritetori

I tested with the default map to get information, but I am in deep confusion. It sometimes crashes and sometimes not. The default map seems to crash only when the game was crashed once before by my save file...

+ I have tested on other versions. 161127a_eb20b4 and 161127b_b1d0535 with the default map seems not to produce a crash. However they can't read my map and produces an error 'loadsave_t::rdwr_str() - string longer (267) than allowed size (256)'. Is it not an expected problem :)?

jamespetts

The error that you are getting is consistent with an incompatible saved game version. If you saved after the saved game format was changed, trying to load with an earlier version will not work. Are you now using the latest version?

midoritetori

Yes, now I am using the latest version. The default map seems not to crush the game in usual. However, the game stops so quickely (usually within 10:00 - 60:00 internal time) if it crashes and I should turn off the game.

Should I upload crash report files generated by WER?

jamespetts

Thank you for letting me know. I doubt that the Windows Error Reporter files will help me. What I need to do to fix the problem is reproduce the crash in my development environment running with a debugger. I will not be able to do that until I get home in around the second week of January, so I will try to fix it then.

midoritetori

Sorry, I notice that the new version (161223_2d60c8f) is released today, and my map works well in this version :D. I will report further problem if I find it. Thanks!

Vladki

Just an important note. Binaries on server.exp.simutrans.com are NOT compiled automatically. They are updated irregularly when I (for linux builds) or Ves (for windows) have time to do it.

It is better to compile yourself for bug hunting.