News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Bug or feature? Token block and end-of-signalling

Started by Jando, May 13, 2017, 09:18:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jando

Greetings!

Here is a screenshot to illustrate the situation: http://files.simutrans.com/index.php/s/93alMQxyYmZVgBm
Here is a saved game of that situation: http://files.simutrans.com/index.php/s/Qp59njuYhoDxJk5

You see a single-track main line with passing loop and siding. Approaching from the south is train #5, heading for the siding to unload cargo at Stodean Power Station. Main line is running under token block signalling and train has correctly blocked it's track up to the end-of-signalling sign on the siding. So far all is well. Train will pull into the siding and switch to drive-by-sight when passing the end-of-signalling sign.

Train will however not release it's reservation of the token block main line at that point. That reservation will be removed after train pulled into Stodean Power Station and has unloaded it's cargo, before it reverses for the return trip. I assume that intended behaviour is to release the reservation on the main line once the last wagon of train #5 has passed the end-of-signalling sign.

jamespetts

Apologies for not getting to this earlier: I do not think that this is incorrect behaviour, since, in token block signalling, the line is only considered clear once the token has been released, and it can only be released by being put back into a token machine, which, in Simutrans-Extended, we represent by a token block signal (the little token cabinet graphic beside the signal depicts the token machine into which the driver deposits the single line token). Thus, you need to have token block signals at both ends of a section in order for token block signalling to work correctly.

I am due to make a video on token block signalling at some point which will hopefully explain these things.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Jando

Makes sense, James.

The helptext however states that trains return the token at the next signal or drive-by-sight sign (in signals working methods, token block).

Ves

Quote from: Jando on June 21, 2017, 12:02:03 PM
Makes sense, James.

The helptext however states that trains return the token at the next signal or drive-by-sight sign (in signals working methods, token block).
That, i believe is my fault. I write the helptexts and I too thought that it worked like that. I will commit a change as soon as possible!

Jando

Quote from: Ves on June 21, 2017, 03:46:11 PM
That, i believe is my fault. I write the helptexts and I too thought that it worked like that. I will commit a change as soon as possible!

Thanks Ves, and thanks for the helptexts as well, I found them very informative and found they explained the new system nicely. Good job!