News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Horse drawn railway passenger services (1832-)

Started by AP, August 20, 2017, 05:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

Just been reading about the Whitby and Pickering railway on Wikipedia.  This was founded in 1832 as a single track railway operated by horse traction alone,  and from the outset operated passenger coaches.  They were basically adapted stagecoaches. ( from Beeston & Melling of Manchester and apparently named Premier, Transit and Lady Hilda)  We should get one of these into the pakset?  :)

Wikipedia has a detailed article which makes clear this was a standard gauge railway not a plateway, the engineer was George Stephenson himself.  Today it is preserved as the North York Moors Railway The line was converted to locomotive operation 13 years later.

Interestingly I read a while back this was one of the lines that operated initially more akin to turnpikes in allowing private rail vehicles to use the route.

It also features Grosmont Horse Tunnel which at 1836 is possibly the oldest rail tunnel in the UK (still survives).

jamespetts

Very interesting! We do have railway horses from an early age, and railway wagons that can accommodate passengers from 1825 onwards; do you think that we are missing any rolling stock here?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

AP

I wasn't able to check in game before posting (I'm on holiday!) but I don't recall horse drawn passenger coaches being an option - if it's already possible and I've just missed it, and they are light enough to be pulled by the horses, then great. 

jamespetts

The ones that we have from 1825 onwards are based on the Stockton & Darlington practice of having passengers stand in coal wagons. From 1830, proper passenger carriages of the Liverpool & Manchester Railway become available.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

AP

It looks like we need to go back a little earlier,  the Swansea and Mumbles railway was using horse drawn dedicated carriages from 1807 it seems.

jamespetts

Quote from: AP on August 27, 2017, 04:53:44 PM
It looks like we need to go back a little earlier,  the Swansea and Mumbles railway was using horse drawn dedicated carriages from 1807 it seems.

That is a very interesting line (and used to run very near where my grandmother, who remembers it well, lives); it started as a horse-hauled passenger and goods line, then progressed to steam haulage before finally giving way to electric haulage with very large double deck tram like vehicles before closing in the 1960s. It was always an odd mix of tramway and railway that is rather difficult to fit into the categories in Simutrans.

AP

Granted, all the early precedents predate the modern definitions. But the principal is clear, that if a Georgian entrepreneur had wanted to establish another passenger railway using horse power,  he could certainly have done so at that early date. Playing on random maps we aren't entirely limited by the circumstances that actually arose in the specific circumstances of south Wales.

jamespetts

Quote from: AP on August 27, 2017, 08:31:44 PM
Granted, all the early precedents predate the modern definitions. But the principal is clear, that if a Georgian entrepreneur had wanted to establish another passenger railway using horse power,  he could certainly have done so at that early date. Playing on random maps we aren't entirely limited by the circumstances that actually arose in the specific circumstances of south Wales.

It might well be worth including Swansea & Mumbles Railway vehicles at some stage (I do need to add more pre-1850s railway vehicles generally), although I am currently working on other priorities.

If anyone else in the meantime would like to produce a range of Swansea & Mumbles Railway vehicles, I should be happy to incorporate them. I have a book with source material on this railway somewhere, I think, that I could scan and send to anyone interested.