Author Topic: Translate text strings  (Read 160 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Frank

Translate text strings
« on: October 07, 2017, 10:46:12 AM »
Translate text from powernet info window ( changed r8027 ) not work.

I changed the object on Translator. Not translate in de in game.

EDIT: different typo 0 <> O

EDIT2: not work


fixed it works


Other point and general question

Different translate text changed or add and not notice in base.tab.

Debian patch the translate string. Consequently, these texts are no longer translated into other languages.

Thus, the question arises to me whether to translate into other languages is still desired or should be only English.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 12:12:35 PM by Frank »

Offline captain crunch

Re: Translate text strings
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 11:29:39 AM »
I for one like to play simutrans in my mother tongue for the funny descriptions of the buildings, tourist attractions and monuments.

Offline DrSuperGood

Re: Translate text strings
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 12:22:52 PM »
I changed the power strings to some extent as part of fixing up the way powernets operated to be more stable and survive save/load round trip more intact. The previous ones would either not make sense with their new usage, or were not usable anymore due to changes in formatting. Hence new string references were made with the old references removed. I thought the tab file was somehow magically imported into the simutranslator where someone could port/update the strings for their locale.

Internal error messages should only be in English as these are queues for the developers that something broke and the average user could not understand them even if they were localized. The same reason why most Java Exceptions are not localized. External error messages and everything UI related should be localized and so should be text references with an entry in the appropriate tab file.

Offline Frank

Re: Translate text strings
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 08:22:48 PM »
.... I thought the tab file was somehow magically imported into the simutranslator where someone could port/update the strings for their locale.
....

This is not automatic.

If the translation string is renamed ( german to english or so ) or corrected, it is sufficient to change the object in the Translator.

The string changes in definition have to be changed with all languages. Or you import it as a new object.