News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Forking the Pak128.Britain-Ex repository on Github for Dutch pakset

Started by AvG, April 10, 2010, 09:50:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AvG

I need to download several items from James Git-Repo.
I studied the Git-stuff, but it seems to be a complete language. IMHO very difficult to start with.
I tried to make my own account and yes , I got one.
Seems to be here : http://github.com/AvG/Simutrans-Experimental-DRC
I have no idea if it is OK and what to do now.
Can I transfer .png-files and .dat-files to my account? How to proceed?

Help on this matter would be MUCH appreciated.
AvG

Moderator note: changed title to add clarity.
Ad van Gerwen

jamespetts

AvG,

are you referring to the Pak128.Britain-Ex repository, or the Simutrans-Experimental source code repository? If the former, this might be better on the Pak128.Britain board. In any event, how to proceed depends on what operating system that you are using. I do my development on Windows, so am familiar with Git GUI on Windows. Neroden uses Linux, and has recently learned how to use Git, so might be able to help you if you use Linux.

In outline, however, what you need to do is "fork" one of my repositories, rather than creating your own blank one. You would then "pull" from the forked repository, so that you have on your local hard drive a copy of all the files in my repository. You would then modify, add to and delete the files as you choose, and then "push" them to your own, forked repository. You can make multiple branches. So if, for example, you wanted to have your own pakset based on Pak128.Britain-Ex and also make some modifications to the existing Pak128.Britian-Ex, you could have two branches, one for your new pakset, and one for your modifications/bugfixes to Pak128.Britain-Ex. I could then add your repository and "pull" from your modified Pak128.Britain-Ex branch when I wanted to apply your bugfixes without getting all of the things that you are adding to make your own pakset. Likewise, whenever I updated Pak128.Britain-Ex, you could "pull" from my branch, and the changes would be merged with your modified branches.

I hope that this is helpful. Incidentally, what do you mean by "DRC" here?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

AvG

James,
Thanks again for your answer.

First the easiest part:
- DRC stands for Dutch Reality Connection

- Maybe, with respect of the repository-matter, I better cut it in parts.
I am running Windows XP.
How can I "fork" your repository and download your files? If I have them on my PC I can go on.
AvG
Ad van Gerwen

jamespetts

AvG,

ahh, thank you for the clarification! DRC is the new pakset on which you are working? It is intended to be to the Netherlands what Pak128.Britain-Ex is to the UK? It may be better to give it a name in the same series as other paksets - perhaps Pak128.Dutch? That might make it easier for people to understand what you mean. However, since this is a pakset query, I shall move this to the Pak128.Britain board (as it it that pakset that you are seeking to fork).

The best way to create a fork is to use the web interface on Github itself. Go to my repository and use the "fork" button to create your own fork. You can then pull that (download and install Git GUI to do that) and make changes as necessary. Have you managed to find the tutorial for Git on Windows?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

AvG

James,
DRC is not a specific country-bound Pak-set.
It will be sort of an add-on on existing sets, with lots of changes w.r.t. the economical side. It will also add a lot of early (1900) vehicles.

Gonna try to fork now!!
Thanks for your help.
AvG
Ad van Gerwen

jamespetts