News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Patch: player nick names

Started by Dwachs, February 05, 2012, 09:17:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwachs

This patch introduces nicknames for players in network games. It enables posting chat messages also for players without access to a company (ie chat for observers).

The nick name has to be entered in the server-list window. It can be changed there too. Should players be forced to enter a non-empty nickname before joining?
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

jamespetts

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

IgorEliezer

YES!

Where's the poll so I can vote yes!?  :o

Quote from: Dwachs on February 05, 2012, 09:17:26 AMIt can be changed there too. Should players be forced to enter a non-empty nickname before joining?
From I know about multiplayer games, when I join a multiplayer server, the server gives me a "temp-name", something like "Player1" or my OS username. And then, I change my nick by typing a command in a in-game chat that also works as a command-line (e.g. name "my-name-here" or /nick "my-name-here").

prissi

I think the sensible choice would be a temp name from the server. For changing it I would expect it in the "talk" window. I.e. under the option for the windows time I would add a chaname filed.

Ashley

Oh I was thinking of implementing this. I think currently we have two concepts, one of the player (e.g. the person sitting at their keyboard playing Simutrans) and the concept of a company (one of the player slots on the server). The player currently has no real identity beyond the ClientID (which changes). It's hard to tell when players switch between companies, and keep track of who is actually playing.

So yes, this is a really good idea for an enhancement, and there's lots of other things that can be built on top of this idea. (E.g. registration of nicknames with a central server, like the game listings, with a password. This would let players have a consistent identity throughout network games. Ranking systems can be built around such a database...)

I'd say don't force people to pick a name, let them change it in-game (and have an auto-assigned one, e.g. Player1). We can then make the distinction between Player and Company clear. (The local client should remember the name which has been picked and fill it in automatically upon subsequent game loads).
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

Dwachs

Here is an update. Nicks can be changed in server window. If no nickname is provided a default one (Client#03) is used.

Ashley

Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

Dwachs

this is now incorporated in r5522.