News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Underwater transportation

Started by emaxectranspoorte, February 06, 2009, 11:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emaxectranspoorte

Hi,

It's me, "the average, no solution guy".

Yesterday I was surfing. Guess in what I bumped into? :o
A submarine! People were taking a Titanic break to spend an awesome time on an expensive, but cool holiday. ;D It was fun to see them all ... happy! ;)

What do you reckon about submarines as a mode of transportation for passengers/mail and goods? :-\ 

P. S. A genuine invention among mermaids and ... pipelines, mate. ;)
       No hard feelings, dude.

1. ALVIN submersible – IMHO, this submarine could be useful as a mode of transportation for passengers/mail.

2. Underwater Flight - IMHO, this one could be useful as a mode of transportation for passengers/mail and goods.

3. IMHO, this one could be useful as a mode of transportation for mail and goods.

4. Link to a description about Submarine Control Surfaces. IMHO, this one could be useful as a mode of transportation for mail and perishable goods.

Submarine Control Surfaces

5. IMHO, this one could be useful as a mode of transportation for passengers and mail.

6. German Type XXI submarine "Elektroboote". IMHO, this one could be useful as a mode of transportation for passengers and mail.

7. IMHO, this one (among the oldest submarines) could be useful as a mode of transportation for mail and non-perishable goods.

8. IMHO, this one could be useful as a mode of transportation for mail and goods.

Admin note: please, less smileys in your posts.
- IgorTekton

vilvoh

OTTD already has a transporting submarine. see here. Seems really easy to paint... ;)

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

VS

Nice :)

If I remember correctly, submarines are usually suggested as mode of transportation in two cases, under arctic ice and because of storms (no effect deeper under surface -> calm water -> less hull stress).

The little problem is: we do not have storms or ice in Simutrans, and ships do not block each other. So no incentive to add submarines as something special.

Of course you can paint them as ships, with just periscope poking out! That's what pak96.comic has.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

vilvoh

Therefore, they would be available only for artic and tundra climates.... :D

Quote from: VS on February 06, 2009, 11:48:03 AM
Of course you can paint them as ships, with just periscope poking out! That's what pak96.comic has.

That was the original idea when I thought about making submarines, long time ago. You can make tons of submarines with that approach.... ::) .... Is there any screenshot of that? I would like to see them in action.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

emaxectranspoorte

Quote from: vilvoh on February 06, 2009, 11:57:16 AM
Is there any screenshot of that? I would like to see them in action.

Me too.

IgorEliezer

Quote from: emaxectranspoorte on February 06, 2009, 11:59:55 AM
:D

Emax, can you translate it in texts?

Posting a smiley doesn't help so much in discussion.

Thanks

Lodovico

Quotesubmarines are usually suggested as mode of transportation in two cases, under arctic ice and because of storms
How far goes Simutrans to the future?
Future submarines may have a substantially higher speed than surface ships because of supercavitation drive.

Actually a future submarine acts as a underwater supersonic rocket. (See http://www.articlesextra.com/supercavitation-torpedoes.htm)

DirrrtyDirk

@emax:

See? You can do it. Wish one wouldn't have to kick you all the way, first.  ;)

EDIT:
I think the major question is, does it need to be a real submarine, i.e. driving one (or more) levels beneath the regular simutrans ships - or would a normal surface ship, just painted differently (either just periscope, or maybe a semi-transparent hull - like looking at a barely submerged vessel - or something like that) be enough for your idea?

The first might prove quite hard to do (and would require changes to the program) - the second option is probably much easier to do, since it only requires a few graphics and a matching .dat file.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

isidoro

Perhaps the airplanes code could be reused.  Submarines just "underfly". ;)

IgorEliezer

Topic was split and temporarily locked.

Info: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=1460.msg14603#msg14603

IgorEliezer

Unlocked. ;)

Later I'll post something here.