News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

OS statistics

Started by Ters, August 19, 2015, 02:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ters

I wonder if the web master can come up with some statistics on what kind of operating system the people visiting the download pages use. Especially how common users of Windows XP (or even older) are. I don't want to propose that any more logging is turned on, but such things have often been available from standard access logs on servers I've dealt with.

Spacethingy

My little 4-penneth, but I have two personal sites that get about 13% WinXP hits (not including hits from bots and mobiles/tablets). The demographics for them should be roughly equivalent to Simutrans'.

W3C School's stats (http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp) report about 4%.

It would be interesting to see the official Simutrans stats!
Life is like a Simutrans transformer:

You only get one of them, and you can't have it on a slope.

An_dz

Humm, the statistics are not clear enough, we need find some better system (Job for our web master). Anyway, to what I can see from last month:

58% Windows
12% Unix
7% Mac
7% Bots
16% Unknown

OS Types: (Percentage among all OSes)
Windows:
49% Unknown Windows (Possibly Windows 7 and up as they are not listed)
9% XP
0,3% NT
0,1% 2000
0,1% Server 2003
Windows 95, 98, ME, 3.1, CE listed at this order but together don't reach 0,1%.
ME, CE, 3.1 don't reach a third of Win98 percentage

Unix
12% Linux
The following together don't reach 0,1%, though BSD has 0,4% of all Unix.
Other Unix
BSD
SunOS
IRIX
AIX
OSF1
HP-UX

There's also record of these OSes though they together don't reach 0,1%
Symbian OS
OS/2
Amiga
BeOS

Countries
What it could resolve the IPs with some location:
11% Germany
7% Japan
4% Brazil
3% Poland
2% Czech
2% Italy
2% Russia
2% Netherlands

The rest of the list has a lot of European countries.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

DrSuperGood

Windows Unknown it that case is likely Windows 10. It was released just at the end of the month.

Ters

That's interesting. I expected XP to still have a significant (> 1) percentage, but that there still are 1 % Windows NT 4.0 users visiting was surprising (assuming that's what meant with just Windows NT, seeing as all modern Windowses are Windows NT), and scary for the Internet (although some of the Linuxes might be just as old and unpatched). Windows XP alone is also not that far behind all MacOSes combined, while Linux is about twice as popular as MacOS (Android is probably mostly portable devices, and therefore not really the same as the others).

Some crawlers could perhaps be responsible for some skewing towards Linux and the presence of unexpected Windows versions.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I'm thinking spiders/crawlers surely account for much of the "NT" traffic. I just don't think anything else makes sense. heh.