News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Highlight station

Started by Tjoeker, August 13, 2016, 04:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjoeker

If you're creating a new bus line, it's always a hassle to (quickly) find where the bus stop actually is.
Especially if zoomed out.

Currently the station lights up in red if it's part of the schedule.
Why don't we light up a station in let's say yellow as soon as the mouse hovers over that station?

Also, it would be nice if the entire station was lit up instead of just one tile. (in both cases, red and yellow)
This way one could see at a glance wich parts are connected.

prissi

Choose any station construction tool will light up the coverage area, which includes the station in the middle ...

Ters

Quote from: Tjoeker on August 13, 2016, 04:12:02 PM
Currently the station lights up in red if it's part of the schedule.
Why don't we light up a station in let's say yellow as soon as the mouse hovers over that station?
It "lights up" in yellow when it is selected in the schedule, although it is still just the one tile in the schedule.

Quote from: Tjoeker on August 13, 2016, 04:12:02 PM
Also, it would be nice if the entire station was lit up instead of just one tile. (in both cases, red and yellow)
This way one could see at a glance wich parts are connected.
When looking at the schedules, the information I need is where exactly the vehicle will go to and stop. Primarily which platform or loading bay, but even where within a platform the waypoint is can be crucial information at times (remove the platform at this tile, or block access to it, and you've got trouble).

Tjoeker

Quote from: prissi on August 13, 2016, 08:04:29 PM
Choose any station construction tool will light up the coverage area, which includes the station in the middle ...

This appears only to be the case when you have the station coverage active?

Quote from: Ters on August 13, 2016, 09:13:36 PM
It "lights up" in yellow when it is selected in the schedule, although it is still just the one tile in the schedule.

What I mean is if you want to add a new station to the schedule:
Whatever station is under your mouse at the moment, lights up.

Example:
This is a well hidden bus stop (especially if zoomed out, you won't find it that easy).

If your mouse hovers over it, the colour changes into something bright (i used red because this was already ingame).
This way you will immediately see you are on a station-tile.

This would speed up the process of creating new lines a lot.

Quote from: Ters on August 13, 2016, 09:13:36 PM
When looking at the schedules, the information I need is where exactly the vehicle will go to and stop. Primarily which platform or loading bay, but even where within a platform the waypoint is can be crucial information at times (remove the platform at this tile, or block access to it, and you've got trouble).

I tought the same actually, it might indeed be better to keep just one tile lit up.
Or maybe light up the other tiles in a lighter colour?

Ters

Quote from: Tjoeker on August 13, 2016, 10:46:53 PM
What I mean is if you want to add a new station to the schedule:
Whatever station is under your mouse at the moment, lights up.

Ah, that is something different from what I first thought you meant. The station catchment area does light up when you hover the mouse cursor over a station while adding waypoints, as long as that feature is turned on. The reason for having to turn it on, might be that other players don't want this feature. It doesn't light up the tiles making up the station itself in a special way, though.

Example:
This is a well hidden bus stop (especially if zoomed out, you won't find it that easy).

I wouldn't dream of working with bus or tram lines without making buildings invisible or transparent first. Even if the tile does light up when you place the cursor over it, you have to randomly find it first.

Or maybe light up the other tiles in a lighter colour?

If I remember correctly, Simutrans only has a limited set of ways to highlight tiles, and all of them have specific meanings (although red has two, and so does arguably the yellow borders).

Tjoeker

ah, too bad.
But You've showed me enough ways to achieve the same, I geuss.  ;)