News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Priority of goods transfer between mutilple stops

Started by shinesei, March 29, 2013, 08:51:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinesei

Hi
I have a coal mine connected to two different power stations through two diffferent land stops. Each land stop has its own set of warehouses.

What I noticed and do not understand is why to cola mine keeps filling in just one stop and not the other, even if goods are available in the plan own storage. I have this situation:
Coal power plant has 335 units of coal in its own storage
Stop A has 297 units of coal out of a total of 288 , not truck in waiting there
Stop B has 0 units of coal out of a total of 288, with 2 trucks waiting

Futhermore, goods are immediatly transferred to stop A while there is a long delay for goods to be transferred to stop B.

Is there some priority criteria for items moving from a factory to its stops which I am not considering? Is there something that can be tweaked in the options?

Thanks!

Shine

Combuijs

Don't know about your situation, but if you make two stops in the same station everything should work okay, e.g. each connection to a power station has its own stop, and the lines start at that stop, but both stops belong to the same station (you see one station name). I just don't see the benefit of having two different stations near the coal mine.

(by the way, are you sure stop B is close enough to the coalbmine (is stop B named in the stationlist of the coalbmine)?
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

shinesei

Yes, stop B is close enough to the coal Mine, and goods are transferred to it, but with a greater delay than Stop A (this causes queues in stop B).
The stops are different, meaning that they have different names and their own set of roads to their respective destinations; both belong to the same factory.

The benefit is that having two stations and two different roads avoids queues on the stop, which I would end up having using a single stop - at least, this is my strategy, I have to admit I'm still experimenting with the game.

I'm enclosing a screenshot of the mine, it's two stops and the queue of trucks waiting. As you can see, one stop is full, the other empty and the factory has goods in it's own "warehouse".

Combuijs

QuoteThe benefit is that having two stations and two different roads avoids queues on the stop, which I would end up having using a single stop - at least, this is my strategy, I have to admit I'm still experimenting with the game.

I am still experimenting with the game after 8 years! Part of the challenge...

What you can do next time, is build the stop on the west side first,  place your coal sheds on the north side of the coal mine in such a way that the first shed is only one (diagonal) tile away from the station, the second shed is one tile away from the first etc, all to the east side. Then place your stop on the east side (next to the last shed you place). You now have two stops where you want them, but only one station. If you have done that you can remove intermediate sheds if you want, it stays one station.

shinesei

:) Thanks, I will try that!

But still, I do not get the priority issue I was referring to in my first post. It seem related not much to having more than one stop but to the destination.
I changed my configuration: I have one single station from the coal mine to the two power plants (say, plant A and plant B). Now, the station has full stock for plant B and no stock for Plant A.

Coal mine is producing stock and keeping it in its "internal" storage. Currently, I have the train for plant A blocking the one for plant B.

So, again, what is the priority rule by which a Plant assign stock to its various destinations? Am I missing something?

Combuijs

You are using Simutrans version 112.2 or 112.1? If not, I remember there was a bug in some older versions concerning this. If you do use one of those versions, something else must be going on.

shinesei

Yes, I forgot to mention (newby mistake).

I'm on Simultrans Release of 112.2: (r6389 on 17-Mar-2013) using Pak64.

Fifty

Are you sure that the coal powerplant linked to stop B is not full? Each factory can only consume so much per month and has a limit so that it will only stockpile a certain amount of goods. If the factory is above the stockpile limit, then it will stop ordering from the coal mine, meaning your trucks don't move.
Why do we park on the driveway and drive on the parkway?

shinesei

Yes, as I have deactivated just-in-time as it was driving me nuts :P

Shine

Maybe my post was not really clear: just in time cannot be the issue, as I deactivated it. I did some other testing, there must be a bug with managing multiple destinations - maybe it depends on the sequence in which destinations are added? I mean, in my example I first connected coal mine to destination B and later to destination A. The latter destination is not taking stock. 

Mod note: please avoid making unnecessary double-posts. Edit your last comment instead.
~IgorEliezer

Fifty

See this topic, emphasis mine - http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=11472.0

Quote from: TurfIt on February 15, 2013, 10:52:44 PM
...With JIT off, the refinery distributes the goods in an attempt to maintain all its consumers at the same level of stock. Unfortunately that's creating this rather undesirable situation where a competitors poor service is limiting your delivery rate...

The simple fix here is to turn on JIT. I'm not making any more changes to the factory distribution for JIT off, all I've ever managed is to create more side effects.

This is a known side-effect of keeping just-in-time off, apparently. One of your powerstations must have a much higher stock than the other, causing deliveries from the mine that are so lopsided that virtually nothing wants to go to the one already full. Personally, I'd recommend turning JIT on, or increasing the service to the less-full powerplant.
Why do we park on the driveway and drive on the parkway?

shinesei

Now I see. Thanks a lot, I searched in the forum but missed that one!

Just one last question: with JIT on i get a lot of "overcrowded station" messages - because I'm not consuming all the source station output. Is there a way to suppress those messages from popping up and have them just logged in the message list menu?

Combuijs

Yes, there is the message center in the main toolbar. In the message options you can specify what kind of feedback you want with what kind of error message.