News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Some questions about oil rigs (Pak128)

Started by cy087, March 27, 2013, 10:56:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cy087

It seems to be very difficult to arrange meaningful passenger lines to and from oil rigs. Yet they have a significant demand and production boost for passengers.
Firstly, it appears that an oil rig is a composite object that consists of the factory and a yard (in this case a "wharf") both of which have the same default names.  So using the inspector, the first click on the rig brings up the yard window (which is logical) and the second brings up the factory window. Similarly creating a line or a schedule between a passenger wharf and the rig works correctly in that the line is between the passenger wharf and the rig wharf.

So here's the questions:
1) The use of the same default name for the rig factory and the rig wharf is very confusing, is there some way I could change the DAT file to make it easier to differentiate?
2) Oil rigs appear to have relatively low levels of passenger demand and the PAK128 passenger ships all have a high capacity, so has anyone developed some low level pax ships for 128?
3) (KILLER :-) ) The Oil rig has a helicopter platform! Has anyone thought of making a helicopter "ferry"? (I realise this would mean some heavy work on the oil rig DAT but.....

cheers
CY

Oh and one more, sort of unrelated, question/request.

Pipeline discussions appeared recently but seem to have gone to sleep.  To whoever was doing the work...

How about pipelines between a "reasonably-close-to-shore" oil rig and a shore based yard, probably involving pumps of some type or other?

CY

Mod note: please avoid double-posting. Edit your last comment instead.
~IgorEliezer

Combuijs

Quote1) The use of the same default name for the rig factory and the rig wharf is very confusing, is there some way I could change the DAT file to make it easier to differentiate?

This is not in the DAT file at all, so I guess it's done automatically in the program itself somehow. So there is no way for you to change this.

Quote2) Oil rigs appear to have relatively low levels of passenger demand and the PAK128 passenger ships all have a high capacity, so has anyone developed some low level pax ships for 128?

Not that I know of. Maybe you can make it yourself, or maybe you can connect more oilrigs or places at the coast at once?

Quote3) (KILLER :-) ) The Oil rig has a helicopter platform! Has anyone thought of making a helicopter "ferry"? (I realise this would mean some heavy work on the oil rig DAT but.....

Again, this is not in the dat file. The disadvantage of a "helicopter ferry" would be the canal leading to the airport... :o

Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

greenling

Hello cy087
Quote from: cy087 on March 27, 2013, 11:00:43 AM
Pipeline discussions appeared recently but seem to have gone to sleep.  To whoever was doing the work...
The Pipelineproject cam in Moment not forward there gives a little painting and development problem for that to
search a solution.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

INJMVO

I think it would be a fun project to make the pipes (they have much potential but there is no waytype for them) but for now i'm working on the harbor tiles.
But if you don't want to use boats for the oil rig you already can make a car/train station below it in underground mode.

cy087

Quote from: INJMVO on March 27, 2013, 11:07:34 PM
I think it would be a fun project to make the pipes (they have much potential but there is no waytype for them) but for now i'm working on the harbor tiles.
But if you don't want to use boats for the oil rig you already can make a car/train station below it in underground mode.
Ah! Never though of that.  Using boats for very short trips is very unprofitable.

And by the way, thank you INJMVO and mEga for the new harbours, they are really good.

CY

Combuijs

Quote from: INJMVO on March 27, 2013, 11:07:34 PM
I think it would be a fun project to make the pipes (they have much potential but there is no waytype for them)

The graphics in pak64 are already there, the waytype is not though...

Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

INJMVO

thanks Combuijs I was planning to make them for pak 64, 128 and 192 just as the harbor tiles (coming up)
I will see how I can use them

IgorEliezer

*waves*

hey... He-ey.... HÉÉEEEEYY!!!

Pipelines addon is here: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=1413.msg110831#msg110831

It's obviously a workaround, but it still works.

In the past, I proposed a new waytype: duct, which would cover not only oil pipes, but also powerlines. The maxspeed could be used to tell the game how many good units per time unit can be transported and the delay between the origin and destination. Every x tiles, the player would need to build a booster station due to the loss of charge/pressure and elevation (liquids can't climb up by themselves :P ), therefore the DAT would need a maxdistance and a maxheight.

Quote from: cy087 on March 27, 2013, 10:56:19 AM
3) (KILLER :-) ) The Oil rig has a helicopter platform! Has anyone thought of making a helicopter "ferry"? (I realise this would mean some heavy work on the oil rig DAT but.....
x.X ... Yes, a few people have. But helicopters would have a different way of "parking", this involves some coding, I think.

Quote from: INJMVO on March 27, 2013, 11:07:34 PMBut if you don't want to use boats for the oil rig you already can make a car/train station below it in underground mode.
Not as strange as a pipeline. ;)