News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Timetables

Started by fephisto, May 31, 2013, 06:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fephisto

I'm sure this had to have been brought up before, but...is there a way to make an explicit timetable schedule?

I would like to increase the frequency of my buses in order to reduce the number of passengers waiting at stops, but often I'll get "bunching" due to one bus waiting at a stop, causing an accordion effect.  Which is bad because I'll get a bunch of buses with little-to-no passengers at a bus-stop that I know gets frequent traffic.

I know I can set the "wait until X% for Y time" options, but this can often get frustrating with many stops, and you're micromanaging to figure out which stops are the 'problem' stops.  And you'd like to reduce the latency in a line by just...sending out more buses and forgetting about it.

That, and it helps with connecting lines.  Lining up trains and other transit to hit a predictable rush helps reduce clogs further down the line.

Also, it feels a little more realistic.  Any love for public transit time tables?  No?  Just me? ..... M...maybe my dad?

jamespetts

Simutrans-Experimental has a feature, convoy spacing, which enables something very similar to timetables - see here for details.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Ters

True timetables is impossible given the speed or manner at which time passes in Simutrans. The wait timeout is given in (fractions of) months, not days. Trains would also face the problem that there is no central traffic control to ensure a train gets there on time. Having proper timetables could be a nice aspect in a transport simulation game, and I've been thinking about it myself, but Simutrans would have to change a lot to become such a game. Those changes might outweigh the gains.

prissi

Tiestables finally found their way into standard in r9996

jamespetts

Quote from: prissi on August 10, 2021, 01:28:07 AM
Tiestables finally found their way into standard in r9996

Interesting - how does this work in Standard?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

prissi

If the minimum load is larger than 100, the number of departures per month is minimum_load-100 internally. The waiting time is a 16 bit unsigned, which is good for minute precision over a month with the usual setting. (Thus it needs shifting according to the actual bit_pre_month.). If more than one departure per month, the time is of course restricted to 1/n of a month, and gist gives an offset. See the screenshot. The entry will then show all individual departures per month. For a proper schedule, one would of course only have one departure and set it to the time.

Since the displayed day length of Simutrans depends on the length of the month, all times in the dialog are for a month with 31 days, as these are the most common ones.

See this thread https://forum.simutrans.com/index.php/topic,20444.msg196341.html#msg196341

jamespetts

Interesting - thank you.