News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

"Build Ground Object"-Button

Started by Leartin, January 24, 2014, 10:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leartin

While creating some new ground objects, I found absolutely no way to set them on the map. Now of course for testing purposes, you could just pak them as something else, but still it seems like a missing possibility, especially with a "plant tree"-button already in place.
...that was when I remembered the "plant wood"-button, which seems even more fitting for Objects. See, after terraforming even if it is just a climate change, it has no or not the correct way objects on it and looks a bit stupid. Placing them similarly to the wood tool should do the trick, hiding that there was ever an excavater near them.

... and if you want to be a bit posh, why not allow a "cluster" similar to city buildings? Not for the random generation, but then you could define different Object-Buttons in the menu (for example for stones, for bushes, for ponds,...) which only create objects of the correct cluster.
Yeah, okay, that's a bit much, but I'd like to have at least the possibility to place Objects manually.

Sarlock

I second this, I had to halt most of my ground object work as it proved to be difficult to actually test it... and the ground objects are of little value from an end player's perspective if they can never place them.

The other complication is, of course, that with half heights implemented, there are now a gazillion different slope configurations to consider... (which I am not even sure are yet supported with new ground object positions in the code - I haven't looked in to this).
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

prissi

It is easy to derive from the tree builder for instance. It would be a good excercise to enter the world of simutrans coding ...

Flemmbrav

If anyone code that, would you move it into official simutrans code?
Or are we the only ones who need this?

Ters

I see no reason why this wouldn't be included in Simutrans Standard, and believe that is exactly what prissi meant.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

This would also be nice to have from my perspective in trying to make Simutrans replace SimCity for me. :D