News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Snowed In - pak128

Started by benjad, January 30, 2014, 02:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benjad

Hi all. 

Last Thursday, I got 'snowed in'.. so decided to try my luck at hosting a server game.  Server ran pak128 for one week, and cleared a whole century (1940 - 2043). 

Things learned
- pak128 needs more citynames in citylist
- must adjust time scale from default... time went too fast
- airplanes in pak128 really ruin the game. 
- because ST is open like a sandbox game in so many ways, rules of play must be agreed upon by players.  Competition is one thing, but it's too easy to just sabotage another player, build useless rail lines around cities, etc. 

- would be really good to have MOTD text box appear on user connect, rather than put a whole bunch of signs up.  Make it as part of the public service player features. 
- might also be good if server list displayed ping times and country location. 

As luck should have it, we are snowed in again today, but not starting a new game at this time.

Final savegame: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0gdCwqnX_TbY0t3cjRvN2ZFQkk/edit?usp=sharing

paichtis

Thanks for the server. Was nice to play again online for a while.

Quote from: benjad on January 30, 2014, 02:13:13 PM
build useless rail lines around cities, etc. 

Those are not useless, they are part of city engeenering : they limit their grow in size but not in population thus increasing density. They are to be removed at some point of time. They also protect intercity roads from being taken over by the cities.
Unless they were clearly hostile lines somewhere I did not notice ?

Also, the map was probably a little too large thus making planes even more powerfull.

benjad

Quote from: paichtis on January 30, 2014, 02:33:21 PM
Those are not useless, they are part of city engeenering : they limit their grow in size but not in population thus increasing density. They are to be removed at some point of time. They also protect intercity roads from being taken over by the cities.

This is exactly the point about each server coming up with 'rules' for what and how should be done. 

In a previous game, anytime I built a rail line (active) near the margin of  a city, another player would build a bridge over the rail line to allow the city to continue to grow.  (he didn't leave room for double track... so was annoying), but that was his point of view, you should not obstruct city growth.  Neither view is right or wrong, but everyone on a server should agree on what is ok, and what is not. 

I also understand wanting to protect cities from taking up roads outside of cities.  Very much so.  But when you build a rail line around them, you create a 6 tile zone where everyone has to go over or under.  It prevents players from making other connections to the road.  I understand the motive, and agree in many cases.  In PAK128, it is a bit easier with elevated roads. 

That is the big thing... having everyone onboard with the same set of 'rules'.

prissi

A motd is easy; scenarios for networkgames to enforce rules were probably on the todo list. At least the scenario code knows about networking.

Nachteule

Hello
many thanks for the server game!
played from 2001 to 2021, 2 days without a break "Player10" and Newbie for Simutrans-Simulator, so that my values bad​​. had tried power plant. energy. hoped game makes new factories near. ... nothing. energy-line through half the map too long, power plant too little power, other extreme fluctuations in the values etc. It was an attempt for higher production, then all demolished so that it does not block the other players.

'm smarter now, only passenger transport approach, I do not completely understand...but no matter.
Although I've been playing for about 20years different online games. Snowed In was so exciting and fascinating for me. These hundreds of small cars, airplanes, ships, trains, things have the other players ... just wonderful.
several auto-save-games have remained.
I look every day if a new server pak128 online
do not you wonder about my english, is translated by Google.

I look every day if a new server pak128 online. auf wiedersehen :D

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Welcome to the forum! :) I was about to approve your post as "Gast", but noticed you signed up and re-posted, so I removed the original since it would have been a duplicate. :)

Your English is good enough, do not worry. Google Translate does a pretty good job. :) Also make sure you find the German forum: http://www.simutrans-forum.de/ — but please feel free to also post here in Google English. :)

benjad

Quote from: prissi on January 30, 2014, 10:28:18 PM
A motd is easy;

Saw the MOTD file line in simuconf.tab ...  hows it going with that :). Where should the file go? 

prissi

It is the current folder; either the user folder or the savegame folder. I am not sure looking at the code.

benjad

I have tried simutrans root folder, pak folder, savegame folder, text/en folder... still no luck.   

I can see the code in simworld.cc   but just haven't figured it out yet

prissi

You can specify any file you liek, using the complete filename (I.e. C:\\Users\benjad\motd.txt or /user/benjad/simserver1_motd

benjad

[Admin... can branch into a more appropriate forum]

I have dropped copies all over the place, tried relative and absolute paths, with no success.

DBG_MESSAGE("karte_t::speichern(loadsave_t *file)", "motd filename %s", env_t::server_motd_filename.c_str() );

Is producing this in the log...
Message: karte_t::speichern(loadsave_t *file):    motd filename

So it looks like I'm still working with simuconfig... maybe?

=================

Found it...

Current simuconfig

# Here you can add a message about your server (It will read this file on each joining anew)
server_motd_file = c:\PROGRA~1\Simutrans\serverinfo.txt

Should be
# Here you can add a message about your server (It will read this file on each joining anew)
server_motd_filename = c:\PROGRA~1\Simutrans\serverinfo.txt

Found  where it is loaded in settings.cc, and noticed the wrong label name!   Woot!  I contributed. 

prissi