News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Japanese input in simutrans 120.0.1 under Linux

Started by danivenk, December 07, 2014, 02:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danivenk

Dear Co-Simutransplayers,

When I try to rename my stations in Japanese it won't do it.
I'm using simutrans 120.0.1, lang= jp
For Japanese input I use Anthy.
My operating system is Linux Ubuntu LTS 14.04
I really need those japanese names. So please help me out.

danivenk

Dwachs

Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

TurfIt

Not likely given that fix was to the GDI backend which is not applicable to Linux...
I really don't know how non-latin language input works, so can't help. My only suggestion is to try SDL2 if SDL doesn't work, and v.v.

danivenk

Quote from: Dwachs on December 07, 2014, 06:13:14 PM
Seems like this bug is already fixed in the nightly versions:

http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=14088.0
You know this is about WIndows, so I don't know if it'll work under Linux.

Ters

Just to clear it up: What Dwachs links to has nothing to do with anything but Windows GDI builds of Simutrans. It was also fixed before 120.0.1.

danivenk, do you know if your Simutrans uses SDL1 or SDL2? And is the problem just with Japanese, or does it affect other non-English letters like Ü and IJ as well?

danivenk

Quote from: Ters on December 07, 2014, 09:59:23 PM
danivenk, do you know if your Simutrans uses SDL1 or SDL2? And is the problem just with Japanese, or does it affect other non-English letters like Ü and IJ as well?
I don't know if it uses SDL1 or 2, do you know how I can see that?
I just tried the Ü and Ÿ and they both don't show up.

Ters

Quote from: danivenk on December 08, 2014, 08:35:03 AM
I don't know if it uses SDL1 or 2, do you know how I can see that?

That depends on how you got Simutrans. Maybe it says so on the download page. Maybe you got Simutrans from someplace we know. Some more technical tools, like ldd, might reveal something. Just don't ask me how to get that working.

Quote from: danivenk on December 08, 2014, 08:35:03 AM
I just tried the Ü and Ÿ and they both don't show up.

That means it's a generic Unicode problem, and not just something with these IME things I understand is used for East Asian scripts. It should also mean more people are affected. Unfortunately, I left my Linux box two hours before you posted this bug report, and won't be back at it for two weeks. There should be other Linux users around here.

DrSuperGood

Could it be missing typefaces/fonts? Unless Simutrans explicitly bundles all used typeface/font (which it would appear not looking at there being code to locate OS typeface/fonts) then it may run into problems with Unicode support at times. Not all installations have for all typeface/font all Unicode extensions. It could be that on that particular installation the particular typeface/font used by Simutrans is missing the Unicode Japanese character set extension.

Ters

Quote from: DrSuperGood on December 08, 2014, 04:16:45 PM
Could it be missing typefaces/fonts? Unless Simutrans explicitly bundles all used typeface/font (which it would appear not looking at there being code to locate OS typeface/fonts) then it may run into problems with Unicode support at times. Not all installations have for all typeface/font all Unicode extensions. It could be that on that particular installation the particular typeface/font used by Simutrans is missing the Unicode Japanese character set extension.

Simutrans has always bundled it's fonts. They are in a special format not used by much else anyway. At least characters like ü should work out of the box.

DrSuperGood

Does it only affect station renaming? All renaming? What about multiplayer chat? It is important to limit where the characters could be getting lost.

Ters

Quote from: DrSuperGood on December 08, 2014, 05:58:15 PM
Does it only affect station renaming? All renaming? What about multiplayer chat? It is important to limit where the characters could be getting lost.

I just assumes it affects all text. Otherwise, it would affect all platforms, not just Linux. But if this is some special Ubuntu version of Simutrans, they can have modified anything.

danivenk

Quote from: Ters on December 08, 2014, 06:36:18 PM
I just assumes it affects all text. Otherwise, it would affect all platforms, not just Linux. But if this is some special Ubuntu version of Simutrans, they can have modified anything.
I've got the simutrans version for ubuntu that's on the simutrans website. And it affects indeed all renaming.

DrSuperGood

Could it be some issue with character input? If it is platform dependant (not a problem on Windows/mac builds) then that would point to one of the platform specific libraries responsible for inputing characters. Unless it provides the represented character in a wider character format (eg Unicode) then it would have problems inputting such characters. There is also an issue of what wider character format is used since there are multiple >8bit character encoding schemes of which Unicode is only one and they have varying degrees of compatibility with each other. It would be a possible cause if the input character is in an incorrect encode scheme (although usually that would result in the missing character box to be displayed).

Ters

Quote from: danivenk on December 09, 2014, 04:35:06 PM
I've got the simutrans version for ubuntu that's on the simutrans website. And it affects indeed all renaming.

I can't see any Ubuntu specific download on the Simutrans webpage. Are you referring to the generic Linux version? If so, was it the 32-bit or 64-bit version (zip file will contain the number 86 and 64 respectively)?

Quote from: DrSuperGood on December 09, 2014, 05:26:50 PM
Could it be some issue with character input?

That's what I'm suspecting. There are three suspects: A bug in Simutrans itself (should affect many users), a bug/error in the SDL used by danivenk (probably the standard Ubuntu package, and if so, there should still be several affected users), or something misconfigued on danivenk's system (would most likely affect other programs as well).

danivenk

Quote from: Ters on December 09, 2014, 05:46:19 PM
I can't see any Ubuntu specific download on the Simutrans webpage. Are you referring to the generic Linux version? If so, was it the 32-bit or 64-bit version (zip file will contain the number 86 and 64 respectively)?
I'm using the 32 bit version.

htrkdk

Hi,

I'm playing Simutrans r7373 on debian jessie (64 bit) and Ubuntu 14.04 (32 bit) in Japanese,
but I've never met such Japanese input problem... (Please see the attachment.)

My environment is:
Simutrans r7373 32bit
SDL 1.2
Japanese input method: fcitx-mozc

If there is still input trouble, please try following:
1. Open a text editor such as gedit.
2. Type  the Japanese words you want to put in Simutrans.
3. Copy the words and paste them in the text box to rename.

This method is used by many Japanese Simutrans players when sim-wingdi had the same problem.
I hope this reply will help you in any ways :D

ADD: Sorry, the version of SDL was incorrect, so I fixed it. (2 -> 1.2)
PAK128.Japan player

Ters

I have been able to test out the official 64-bit Simutrans 12.0.1 release on another Linux box I have, although it was not set up for desktop use. There were no problems typing the letters æ, ø and å. So either this problem with non-English letters is specific to the 32-bit release, or something is wrong with danivenk's system or Ubuntu in general (or at least that version of Ubuntu). I really thought there were some other Ubuntu users around here. Maybe they're just a bit busy this time of year, be it exams, end-of-year deadlines or just pre-Christmas stress.

Quote from: htrkdk on December 10, 2014, 01:03:32 AM
If there is still input trouble, please try following:
1. Open a text editor such as gedit.
2. Type  the Japanese words you want to put in Simutrans.
3. Copy the words and paste them in the text box to rename.

This method is used by many Japanese Simutrans players when sim-wingdi had the same problem.

I believe Simutrans only integrates with the system clipboard on Windows. If so, and if pasting from outside Simutrans works elsewhere, those systems must emulate keyboard input in order to paste into Simutrans (and copying from Simutrans won't work). It could still be interesting to try, just in case there is emulated keyboard input and if that behaves any differently from the real thing.

htrkdk

Quote from: Ters on December 10, 2014, 06:45:21 AM
I believe Simutrans only integrates with the system clipboard on Windows. If so, and if pasting from outside Simutrans works elsewhere, those systems must emulate keyboard input in order to paste into Simutrans (and copying from Simutrans won't work). It could still be interesting to try, just in case there is emulated keyboard input and if that behaves any differently from the real thing.

I'm very sorry that I didn't check if the method would work successfully...

Quote from: Ters on December 10, 2014, 06:45:21 AM
So either this problem with non-English letters is specific to the 32-bit release, or something is wrong with danivenk's system or Ubuntu in general (or at least that version of Ubuntu). I really thought there were some other Ubuntu users around here. Maybe they're just a bit busy this time of year, be it exams, end-of-year deadlines or just pre-Christmas stress.

After I posted the first reply, I tried to reproduce danivenk's situation on my Ubuntu again, but I couldn't. It seems there are no problems with 32-bit version of Simutrans and Ubuntu 14.04... Still I have no problems to input Japanese.
PAK128.Japan player

danivenk

I yesterday tried to fix it, but before I even can start simutrans is gives this error:
FATAL ERROR: simmain() - No GUI themes found! Please re-install!
Aborting program execution ...

Sorry I know this is about something else but if this doesn't get fixed I won't be able to use simutrans. (by the way, I tried to re-install but failed still the same error.
:(

kierongreen

This indicates you haven't got all the files necessary to start Simutrans. Ensure that you download the complete package and a pakset.

Ters

Simutrans 120.0.1 was originally released with some missing files in the Linux release. It should be fixed now (what I downloaded works), but maybe some sourceforge mirrors are out-of-date.

danivenk

Quote from: Ters on December 10, 2014, 06:22:34 PM
Simutrans 120.0.1 was originally released with some missing files in the Linux release. It should be fixed now (what I downloaded works), but maybe some sourceforge mirrors are out-of-date.
So how do I get every file I need. If through the simutrans website not everything available is?

Ters

Quote from: danivenk on December 10, 2014, 07:21:13 PM
So how do I get every file I need. If through the simutrans website not everything available is?

Everything should be available. What I got was complete. You must have been unlucky in the mirror sourceforge selected for you. Try to select a different mirror on the download page, that is after simutrans.com sends you to sourceforge.net.

danivenk

Quote from: Ters on December 10, 2014, 08:26:59 PM
Everything should be available. What I got was complete. You must have been unlucky in the mirror sourceforge selected for you. Try to select a different mirror on the download page, that is after simutrans.com sends you to sourceforge.net.
Could you send that version of yours?

Ters

All I have is the 64-bit version, which isn't really recommended, and you use the 32-bit version and might not have a 64-bit system. (Maybe just the 32-bit version lacks some files, but then someone really needs to fix that. I thought that was done, and you're first attempt at downloading it seems to have gotten all files.)

danivenk

Quote from: Ters on December 11, 2014, 04:31:34 PM
All I have is the 64-bit version, which isn't really recommended, and you use the 32-bit version and might not have a 64-bit system. (Maybe just the 32-bit version lacks some files, but then someone really needs to fix that. I thought that was done, and you're first attempt at downloading it seems to have gotten all files.)
I used 32 by default but I have a 64-bit system so it won't matter.

danivenk

QuoteSDL and GDI What is different? †
The main features of the GDI version (Windows native)

Windows only
I can Japanese input with an IME
Since the mixer is not, sound effects Buchigireru. I would be arbitrarily change the volume setting
Can the character of the paste from the clipboard [Ctrl + V]
The main features of the SDL version

Supports many platforms
It is not possible to Japanese input (Windows version is acceptable by the character of the paste)
Sound effect is reproduced properly
Character of the paste from the clipboard Windows version only
Or more of either to work smoothly, it seems also different depending on the environment. Japanese input is necessary if GDI version, it is SDL version if you want to enjoy the sound effects.
Save data but compatibility has been tentatively secured, is rarely better you play focus on one or the other because no longer be read in one.

I found this on the http://japanese.simutrans.com site under the FAQ, how unfortune :(
Is this for real or is there a good way of inputing Japanese (hiragana, katakana and kanji)?

prissi

When I tried the SDL version under LInux, I had trouble to install an IME, so I gave up (like eight years ago).

If there would ahve been an easy way to use the Xwindows clipboard under Linux, then one could at least copy & paste. You may try also to compile for SDL2 which may support the IDE better (although I doub it).

kagari

QuoteI've got the simutrans version for ubuntu that's on the simutrans website. And it affects indeed all renaming.

If you got a package labelled as "Linux SDL", it's depends to SDL1. I'd like to ask what Input Method framework are you using (such as IBus, fcitx), as Anthy you mentioned is a conversion engine, which communicates with applications through these frameworks. It's Ubuntu so most likely IBus, though.

Anyway, I recently explored with a hope to take advantage of latest IBus support in SDL2 development repository, and I found: SDL2 backend has a bug!

When you type random text contains multiple characters using Input Method Editors, only first character will show up in the input field, and rest of the text you wrote will be ignored.

What You Typed: いろは
On The Screen: い

I figured out the problem is down to the SDL_TEXTINPUT event handler.

simsys_s2.cpp:

case SDL_TEXTINPUT: {
size_t len = 0;
sys_event.type    = SIM_KEYBOARD;
sys_event.code    = utf8_to_utf16( (utf8*)event.text.text, &len );
sys_event.key_mod = ModifierKeys();
break;
}

In the text input process involving IMs, SDL_TEXTINPUT is possible to come with multiple characters, but current code breaks immediately after it issues a SIM_KEYBOARD event out of the first character of 'event.text.text', leaving trailing characters unprocessed.

Attached patch is an attempt to modify the SDL_TEXTINPUT handler to issue SIM_KEYBOARD events for every character it received by introducing static variables in the function. I spend some time with it and had seen no issues at least on my Linux desktop. This issue should also affect Windows and Mac, both SDL.

danivenk, could you try the patch with SDL2? IBus support code has not yet arrived to stable release, so in first you'll need to compile SDL source code _with_ IBus development packages (ibus-dev or ibus-devel or etc.) installed. And then apply patch to latest Simutrans and again compile it. It's a long road unfortunately.

Also, I saw "No GUI themes found!" a number of times when I tried to launch nightly. cd into working Simutrans directory, and launch your new simutrans with specifying -use_workdir option.

Ters

Quote from: kagari on January 05, 2015, 08:01:15 PM
Attached patch is an attempt to modify the SDL_TEXTINPUT handler to issue SIM_KEYBOARD events for every character it received by introducing static variables in the function. I spend some time with it and had seen no issues at least on my Linux desktop. This issue should also affect Windows and Mac, both SDL.

There are some issues here. Since Simutrans processes one (non-mouse) event per frame, since character and keyboard input is handled the same, and since Simutrans binds actions to characters rather than keys, external input generating multiple characters can lead to strange behaviour. The first character may trigger something, while the other characters go someplace entirely different. It's possible that Simutrans' event model is unsuited for use with IMEs, but since prissi has some connection to Japan, it seems strange that he hasn't reacted.

I also don't like this static variable in function thing. If lots of characters are generated so that there always is something in extra_text_buffer, Simutrans won't process other events.

prissi

Prissi was on holiday with a broken laptop power supply ... And currently no working Linux on my computer (or rather not enough time to install it in a virtual machine). HOwever, since we have some paste support, maybe multiple character should be incorporated as a paste event? (It still needs some modification of the event system ... )

That seems like the clean solution.

Ters

Quote from: prissi on January 06, 2015, 10:45:03 PM
Prissi was on holiday with a broken laptop power supply ... And currently no working Linux on my computer (or rather not enough time to install it in a virtual machine). HOwever, since we have some paste support, maybe multiple character should be incorporated as a paste event? (It still needs some modification of the event system ... )

That seems like the clean solution.

As long as the internal clipboard is used, which is the case on anything but Windows. Sending this input through the Windows clipboard can range from confusing to annoying (where did my important clipboard contents go?).

kagari

Quote from: Ters on January 05, 2015, 09:05:27 PM
There are some issues here. Since Simutrans processes one (non-mouse) event per frame, since character and keyboard input is handled the same, and since Simutrans binds actions to characters rather than keys, external input generating multiple characters can lead to strange behaviour. The first character may trigger something, while the other characters go someplace entirely different. It's possible that Simutrans' event model is unsuited for use with IMEs, but since prissi has some connection to Japan, it seems strange that he hasn't reacted.

I also don't like this static variable in function thing. If lots of characters are generated so that there always is something in extra_text_buffer, Simutrans won't process other events.

These are actual problems present in GDI Simutrans due to it isn't really dealing with IMM32 or TSF, relying entirely on DefWindowProc to translate IME input messages into WM_CHARs. An old MSDN document details the behaviour:
QuoteIME-unaware applications basically ignore all IME-specific Windows messages. Most applications that target single-byte languages are IME-unaware. When the user presses Enter or clicks a character to place it in a document, the IME, by default, posts either a WM_IME_CHAR message containing an entire DBCS character or a WM_IME_COMPOSITION message containing an entire DBCS string. If the application ignores either message, it falls through to the application's DefWindowProc, which in turn notifies the Input Method Manager that the message has been ignored. The IME then resends the character or string byte by byte via multiple WM_CHAR messages.

So, the basic idea of the patch was to imitate the trick that somewhat magically enabling IME support on Windows Simutrans and to bring it into other platforms. It certainly isn't a nice solution, but after glancing through low-end part of the code I felt it's better not to dive into a major surgery in the first attempt. I'm willing to make another tries in more robust way, something like replacing SIM_KEYBOARD with a more general text input event. I'd like to hear more suggestions from developers.

EDIT: grammar

prissi

The IME handling of windows changed at least three times since WIndows 98, and each time documentation was sparse and often incorrect. Not IME messages are discouraged completely; hence ignoring seems the best way.

I will add a message EVENT_STRING, which takes an malloced utf8 string as ev_ptr parameter, see r7455

Still the string has to be in a static variable or we have a memeory leak.

Ters

Quote from: prissi on January 07, 2015, 09:46:19 PM
Still the string has to be in a static variable or we have a memeory leak.

Why can't it be an array in the event? Too big to have on the stack?