News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

r7373, Win 8.1 64-bit, pak128.Britain: Pan around problem (mouse's right-button)

Started by Hitardo, March 28, 2015, 03:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hitardo

Hello guys,

I am a fun of shortcuts.
Like CTRL+C and everything that can be made easily and faster.

In Simutrans I use a lot the button "a" to use the selection tool and the left-button of the mouse to pan (or move) around in the map with the mouse movement.
This makes my life easier as I can follow groups of vehicles or follow a road/train line/power line  I just made in search for errors or improvements.

Since after the 112.3 version of Simutrans, I have the pan around problem:
When I click on the mouse's right-butto and I move themouse a millimetre the window goes to the border of the map and I am not able to move the window.
This also happens on the mini-map, and happens very fast.

Since I detected this problem I have searched on the internet for a solution and nothing.
Lately I have not played Simutrans much due to this problem.
It is a feature I need in every game of this genre.

My system:
- Windows 8.1 64-bits;
- Simutrans 120.0.1 (r7373) [notice it after the 112.3 version];
- Pak128.Britain [also tried the pak128];
- 1080p screen;
- I use the Windows magnifying glass (built-in the OS);
- I use SetPoint software from Logitech [already tried with the touchpad of the laptop, turning off the software and another mouse].

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards!
Always looking for new things, new knowledge.

Ters

Have you tried without the magnifying glass? I doubt many of us use it. Many of us might still be using Windows 7, or even Windows XP, if Windows at all.

Another thing: do you know if you use the GDI or SDL version of Simutrans? If you don't know, it's probably the GDI version.

Hitardo

Thank you @Ters for your quick answer.

I have tried without the magnifying glass now, and the problem continues.

To try the magnifying glass, just click Windows button + "+" to increase the magnifying glass and Windows button + "-" to decrease the magnifying glass.
This will open a new "program" in Windows. To close it, just click on the cross button on the top right corner of the window.

I was using the GDI version.
Now I have tried the SDL version and the pan around feature works perfectly on it.

What are the differences between these two versions?

Cheers!

DrSuperGood

QuoteWhat are the differences between these two versions?
The interface set used. GDI uses Microsoft interfaces where as SDL uses a third party library. GDI is apparently very dated, with origins before DirectX. SDL is third party so is likely a wrapper around more modern DirectX functionality.

I have noticed that the SDL2 build (not publicly available, usually for Mac) has performance issues with loading, taking 4-8 times longer to load over the GDI build. This however is likely down to how the progress bar is produced rather than actual loading.

Hitardo

Thank you for your help.
Now I can pan, zoom and go around the map more easily.

I guess my Simutrans game will gain some more services next month :)

Ters

Quote from: DrSuperGood on March 28, 2015, 05:24:40 PM
The interface set used. GDI uses Microsoft interfaces where as SDL uses a third party library. GDI is apparently very dated, with origins before DirectX. SDL is third party so is likely a wrapper around more modern DirectX functionality.

GDI might be old, but still one of the most central parts of Windows. DirectX never really started replacing GDI until Windows Vista, although by that point, there is little but the name left of the original DirectX of Windows 95. It's actually likely that SDL wraps the long deprecated DirectDraw.

Since the issue here is input devices, GDI is not really the issue, but somthing with how Simutrans uses the input interface of Windows directly that is different from how it is done when SDL is in between.

Hitardo

I have very few knowledge on this matter.

But if you want to proceed with the tracking of this "bug" I can help you in any way.

Ters

It's difficult to debug this externally. I'll leave this to a developer that has Windows 8, even if that means no one, unless someone can reproduce it on Windows 7.

prissi

It does not appear with windows 8, at least not on the installation I have at work. I rather suspect the trackpad software. Because the GDI version resets the mouse position after every move. If the digitizer then sees its is about one pxel off, it will move it again and again.

There are more than one way to move the move. Maybe SDL uses a different one.

An_dz

It's also not happening on my Windows 8.1. It would be good if you could download the older version again and test it together with the new version to make sure it's a bug introduced in Simutrans.

Ters

Quote from: An_dz on March 28, 2015, 10:24:49 PM
It's also not happening on my Windows 8.1. It would be good if you could download the older version again and test it together with the new version to make sure it's a bug introduced in Simutrans.

I can't see any changes between 112.3 and now in the code that repositions the mouse cursor during panning in the Windows backend. If anything, Hitardo should test even older versions. Unfortunately, going backwards in Simutrans version messes up the global settings.

An_dz

One should install an older version as standalone (USB) mode. Which makes me think that Hitardo's settings.xml may be the problem as that guy which had wrong colours display.