News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

PakBritain - to-do list

Started by The Hood, February 07, 2009, 01:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hood

The purpose of this thread is to keep people informed of progress on PakBritain, and to encourage people to help with the bits they can/want to:
- I will update this first post to give a summary of where we're at, so keep looking at this post.
- if you are planning on doing something, post a reply and keep people updated so there is no duplication.
- if you want to draw things, please ask.  Graphical consistency is very important to this project.  I can supply blender files if you are interested.

Graphics:
Done:
- Catenary / third rail electrification (done for now)  :)
- canals (including tunnels and bridges) (done) :)
- rail tunnels & bridges (done for now) :)
- rivers (done) :)
- signals (done) :)
- road tunnels & bridges (done for now) :)
- Depots (done) :)
- bus/truck stops (done for now) :)
- Fence (Using Fabio's pak128 one - thanks!) :)
- boat/ship stops/quays (done for now, will probably draw some more at some point) :)
- goods rail station graphics (done) :)
- station extension buildings (done) :)
- powerlines/transformers (done) :)
- smoke (done) :)
- airport graphics (done) :)
- menu bar/GUI (done, but modifications ongoing) :)
- buses (done) :)

High Priority (for next release):
- trucks
- rail freight wagons (work in progress)

Low Priority (future releases):
- narrowboats/ships
- aeroplanes
- narrow gauge trains
- london underground trains
- more trees
- more trains
- more industries
- more citybuildings
- more attractions
- more bridges/elevated ways
- headquarters buildings
- crossings (road/river)
- citycars, pedestrians

Other stuff:
- industry balancing (getting input & output volumes/productivities right)
- economic balancing (getting vehicles to the right level of profitability)
- research for dat files for any of the graphics above.
- adding interesting info on buildings/attractions/etc to the translation file.

Stubbsy

i can get .dat files for a few of the graphics :)

the pic for TheHood.

Václav

I would not do like to harm anyone but third-rail electrification is ready - while anyone could separate it from official pak128 - and else I understand that face of it would not be perfect for pak128.Britain.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

The Hood

Current Pak128 3rd rail is not suitable - it is too curvy and also the colour is too bright.  It is also not open source (yet), so can't be included in pakBritain.

Václav

Oh, sorry - but I think it could be used as base for making third-rail electrification for pakBritain.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

mjhn

One issue that has been around for some time.
The Mk3 carriage cannot have an HST rear power car built after it, making the HST almost useless. Theoretically, a Mk3 could be final vehicle in a train as well (to reflet Mk3A behaviour).

The Hood

Umm, not sure how that happened but it's easy to fix.  I'll change it next time I upload stuff to sourceforge (you will have to re-make the rail yourself using makeobj).

Edit - look in the svn, changes have been made :)

jamespetts

Hmm, maybe there should be a separate Mk3a (same graphics, same .dat file, apart from: can couple to things other than HST power cars, later introduction date (am I right in thinking 1978 or 1979?), and maybe a very slightly higher purchase cost).
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

The Hood

Personally I think that might be a bit confusing and there's not a lot of need really, so I won't rush to put one in the official releases.  But you have access to the sources so if it would be good for your gameplay style, then of course you can make one!

jamespetts

Ahh, except that all the graphics for trains (apart from the King class) are missing from the SVN...

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

The Hood

When was the last time you looked at the SVN? ;)

jamespetts

The Hood

There are a few more trains than just the King class as of a couple of weeks ago...

jamespetts

Yes, all the .dat files are there, but the only .png file is for the King class: see here

http://simutrans.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/simutrans/pak128.Britain/trains/images/

The Hood

Funny, they should all be there.  I will upload them tonight.

jamespetts

The Hood

Done - let me know if you spot anything else missing or dodgy

jamespetts

Excellent, thank you. A brief look and all seems in order.

kierongreen

Mk3's used to be able to be coupled to anything (I know because I'd considered Mk3a's when I made it...)

The Hood

Has anyone used the updated mk 3 I put on the SVN?  Are people happy with it or should I just remove constraints altogether?

jamespetts

Haven't had a chance to try it yet - have been busy with programming...

jamespetts

One other thing that perhaps ought be added somewhere is station extension buildings: currently, the set uses Pak128 buildings, which don't fit the graphical theme.

The Hood

These aren't essential for the pak to run (and there are two station extensions in the set already).  I'm adding it as low priority.

jamespetts

Perhaps another item for the low priority list is a startup logo?  (See also here).

Edit: And one other (probably low priority) to-do list item is headquarters: the existing Pak128 headquarters graphics again don't fit the style of PakBritain.

VS

In fact existing pak218 headquarters are a disaster (two levels? bah).

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

The Hood

How many do you think is appropriate?  Only 1?  Or more?  To be honest I never saw why they were needed so didn't bother playing with them!

VS

I do not even know how many are possible. (Prissi, Frank,...?) But I assume generally everyone wants a complete suite from the pig barn (remember TT?) to towers of steel and glass.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

jamespetts

Well do I remember TT's pig barn! Perhaps we should have everything from a garden shed to Canary Wharf Tower? The player colour should probably be used somewhere in the headquarters, too.

And I think that headquarters in Simutrans are a status symbol rather than something that has an effect on game play...

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I seem to recall someone like Prissi saying that the HQ actually increased growth of the nearest city, or something like that...

jamespetts

Ahh, interesting - didn't realise that! If they have function, then that's most worthwhile. Prissi - can you confirm that?

The Hood

I'm planning on including some trucks, vans and other road vehicles for transporting freight and mail in the next release.  I'm no expert on road transport, so it will take me a long time to work out what to make.  Does anyone want to create a timeline for this or give ideas?  Something similar to jamespetts's bus stuff - http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=1069.0
- would be great (I'm going to provide graphics for these in the next release).

Required info for dat file:
- intro year
- apprx retire year
- weight
- top speed
- power (as best you can, even if it is a guess)
- freight capacity

A link to a picture would help me draw it too.

jamespetts

We might also need engine type (there were some steam lorries in the 1910s-1930s), and horse-drawn waggons, of course; the tram horses could be re-used themselves. And, I think, we need introduction and retirement months as well as years, don't we? If it is not possible to get it exact, then it is better to take a figure at random than have everything happen in January.

Perhaps you could provide a definitive list of PakBritain goods to assist with what sort of lorries are needed?

The Hood

Yes, don't worry about drawing horses, the existing ones can easily be re-used.  Carts very much need to be done though!

The list of goods currently in use is:
- bulk (including grain and cement in the same category).
- fluids
- long goods (steel / planks)
- crate goods (including containerised goods)
- refrigerated goods
- livestock
- mail

OliverNo11

If anyone would like me to do narrow guage I would be happy to do it, I would need some help though.
Long live trains!

jamespetts

I daresay that you doing narrow gauge things would be very welcome indeed! The Hood would be the best person to offer tips on how to get started - I have done a number of vehicle graphics myself, but narrow gauge would require tracks, stations, tunnels and bridges as well as vehicles, all of which would have to be drawn to the reduced gauge. There would be far fewer vehicles for narrow gauge, though, than standard gauge, so it'd be easier to get things finished, and, once you have one type of track, station and vehicle, all the other things can relatively easily be aligned to the same gauge.

I have to say, I've been hoping for some narrow gauge for a long time! It'd make a delightfully quirky and rather wonderful addition to the pakset, as well as filling a useful practical purpose in the late 19th and early 20th century of filling in a gap between heavy rail and road transport.