News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

What can I do with your license?

Started by Ves, September 07, 2015, 11:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ves

Hello developers of pak128 standard!
I have a quick question which I want to be absolutely sure at:

Im about to upload the sources for my ongoing project, pak128.Sweden-Ex to github, which is based on pak128 standard and pak128 britain.

Am I correct in that both those paksets are opensource artistic license and that there are no problems for me to upload my edited sources with the artistic license?

I'm sorry, I know this has been discussed a billion times already, I just want a clear yes or no, to make sure that I have not misunderstood anything!

Thanks in advance!

Junna

The new pak128 is open (open.pak128.etc), the old one had some content with unclear origin, but all such content has been excluded and/or redrawn as I recall.

Ves

Quote from: Junna on September 08, 2015, 03:08:07 AM
The new pak128 is open (open.pak128.etc), the old one had some content with unclear origin, but all such content has been excluded and/or redrawn as I recall.

So that would mean that everything under the "pak 128" folder on sourceforge, am able to modify and upload again?

gauthier

I don't know much about licenses, although, as far as I know, you can modify and upload all contents in open pak128 under the same (or more restrictive) license. I'm not sure whether you have to quote authors or not but if you have to, a "pak128 team" should be okay. I'm going to learn more about our license so I can answer you more precisely :)

EDIT: I quickly read the license text which is in the repository (I attached it so you can get it immediately). If I did not misunderstand this license, you can modify Openpak128, include it in larger projects, and distribute the result as long as everything from Openpak 128 is still under the same license. I did not read anything about quoting authors, however it is nice from you if you do ;)

Ves

Thank you very much!
Yes I read that license, although I was unsecure if I understood everything correctly.

Openpak128, do you mean the pak which exist in this directory: http://sourceforge.net/p/simutrans/code/HEAD/tree/pak128/?

Regarding the credits, I will of course write the credit of original authors! Do I need to write that in a special place, or is the "copyright" sections in each single dat-file enough?
I was foreseeing a credit-strategy like this:
.png's and .dat's I havent touched at all will keep their credit/copyright section in their .dat-files without modification.
Original .png's but with modified .dat-file, Im unsure how to credit. Both me and the original author perhaps?
.png's I have edited will have both my name and the original author
.png's where i have modified every single pixel and Png's which I have painted all the way from scratch, I will put my name in the .dat-file.

Would that credit strategy be sufficient?

gauthier

QuoteOpenpak128, do you mean the pak which exist in this directory: http://sourceforge.net/p/simutrans/code/HEAD/tree/pak128/?
Yes it is. I say "Openpak128" because, some years ago, pak128 changed its license to become completely open source, although it caused some objects to be kicked out of the pak.

Regarding credits: "copyright" field in dat files is meant to appear in game, so it's rather the name of the author(s) of the image (or the entire object) than the author of the dat file. Dat files themselves are not really important to copyright, it's just technical data about objects. If you want to copyright them, add a comment (line beginning with #) to state clearly that you modified/wrote the file.

The best way to credit authors is adding your name to the copyright field in dat files and to the image file itself, if you modified the image. For the whole pak, as quoting all pak128's authors would be a hassle, you can only credit "the pak128 team".

Ves

Great, thank you for your help!

So I will credit using my former list, although I wont add my name if I only edited the dat-file (without touching the png).
However I think good practice would be to specify with a comment in the dat-file that the file is modified. Then no confusion should occur!

I was thinking of adding a textfile called Credits.txt, where all contributors would be listed, and there "the pak128 team" would be listed!

Now, to the other question:
Is this the same for Pak128.britain? (I know I will risk death by Moderation by asking this question in this subforum, but Il try my luck ;) )

Edit: Removed the britain parts from the sources, so no need to dig in that question! Thanks for your answers , both of you!