News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Huge recessions should be prevented.

Started by killwater, February 28, 2016, 11:32:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

killwater

Hello
I have some suggestions regarding the economy.
First more factory interconnection. It makes no sense to have only one supplier - two or three should be sufficient.

Second factories should try to reconnect once the supplier is liquidated. If this is impossible the game should try to open a new supplier somewhere else with eg a 20% chance of success. Otherwise you get the whole chains eradicated or even a huge global recession that will get you immediately bankrupt. See screenshot. Also it would be useful if the industries that are well served would be much less prone to closure than the ones that do not see any business.

It is worst with power stations as they provide boost for factories so loss of power causes decrease in production and consumption which brings havoc to the rest of the industry.

Third thing would be amount of suppliers depending on industry type - it is ok for a power plant to have few suppliers, but for example markets or greengrocers could have plenty providing multitude of opportunities to transport goods over the map and increasing the importance of transport hubs.

Also I would like to support the feature suggestion of clustering the industries in resource regions - mines in the hills etc. This would be super nice feature and would add a lot of realism to the simulation. I know it will not happen in foreseeable future - just adding a vote to it :)

jamespetts

Clustering industries as you mention is a very long-term goal, but would require a huge amount of work, and there is a queue of many years' worth of higher priority work at present.

The game is configured to ensure that there are generally enough power stations to supply the demand with 10% to spare, so any closed down power stations will quickly be replaced.

Other industries do try to re-link to other suppliers if their suppliers are closed, and do have the capability to have multiple suppliers. May I ask whether you are using a compile from devel-new or the 11.35 release version? There were some bugs in the latter relating to this mechanism now fixed in the former.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

HarrierST

Quote from: jamespetts on February 28, 2016, 01:50:55 PM
May I ask whether you are using a compile from devel-new or the 11.35 release version? There were some bugs in the latter relating to this mechanism now fixed in the former.
As we are not all programmers and do not  have access to program compilers.  Why do you not release updates? They do not have to be 100% perfect, but must be better than something released over 2 years ago.

I think your reluctance to post an update - just because you are trying to achieve perfection - is losing you many possible players.

Just a thought.

killwater

@jamespetts
I use the devel-new. The power stations were replaced in few months but as you can see on the screenshot they were all closed at once. It also wiped out steel works taking out the hardware shops etc. . I think that the problem was all the coal mines closing over a short period of time. As you can see the last one closing devastated completely the economy. That is why I proposed game trying to open a new supplier with 20% chance and reconnecting. This situation would not happen. In fact I think that if there is another supplier the industry should not close because of a supplier closing (which may already be the case I do not know). Also I would like to restate that IMHO it should be a rare event that served industry is closing.

I do know about multiple supplier possibility - I just think it is not used enough especially in case of consumer industries like markets or shops. That said I have never encountered reconnection on closing I could have missed it though.

From what you say it is more of a balance issue then problem with code.