News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Train signals with timers

Started by tubanonymous, March 09, 2016, 11:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubanonymous

How difficult would it be to attach the timer used for road signals to a train signal. Could you make a standard block signal that held red based on a time schedule?

prissi

What road signal has a timer? OR are you referring to the traffic lights?

Doing that would not too difficult, but any signal acting like this will reduce throughput. And an intervall of maximum 128 ticks (rather arbitary length) will not make you schedules. DId have experimental real schedules?

jamespetts

Simutrans-Experimental is in the process of implementing time interval signalling for railways, but this may or may not be what you are after.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

tubanonymous

prissi: Yes, I meant lights

jamespetts: Do you have a link, or mind describing what the new experimental will include?

jamespetts

The best link that I can give at present is a link to the sources on Github, which is here. This is rather work in progress (it is difficult to find good information on time interval signalling), but it is an implementation of the means of railway signalling whereby a "danger" signal is given if a train has passed in the last 5 minutes, a "caution" signal is given if a train has passed in the last 10 minutes but not in the last 5 minutes, and a "clear" signal is given otherwise. This dated from the time before there was any means of communicating between different signals whether the train had passed the next signal ahead (i.e. circa 1830s until it began to be replaced by absolute block between about the 1860s and 1880s).

The system worked a little differently at junctions, and it is that part of the code that is currently incomplete and not working, although I do have an idea of how to implement it properly (but it is stuck behind a queue of other incomplete tasks that I am slowly ploughing through).

I am also considering adding an intermediate "time interval with telegraph" system that will allow for time interval working on single track lines, as happened in reality during the transitional phase (1850s-1880s).
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.