News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

bridgewater-brunel.me.uk - Simutrans-Experimental (devel-new-2) - testing

Started by jamespetts, October 22, 2016, 07:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

Quote from: prissi on January 14, 2017, 08:23:28 AM
I fail to see how crosscompiling could help, since the generated code is the same GCC for the same processor as the mingw compiler that runs under windows.

It might help in the sense that it is not MinGW in Windows that I use to compile the code, but Visual Studio. I could set up Windows to compile with MinGW and this would have the same effect, but that itself would take a fair bit of work and would not give me the ability to have automated nightly Windows builds, which would be worthwhile for other reasons, so it would be more efficient to put the effort into setting up cross-compiling.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

prissi

Todaz I just set up mingw for GDI build on windows and it took me less than 30 min.

fam621

I have obtained a version of Simutrans-Experimental devel new (from the link in the cross-compiling from linux to windows). Are there any online servers I could join? :)

jamespetts

At the moment, this server is running just to test stability, so it has existing late game content already created by a Simutrans user in single-player mode, and may be reset without notice. However, if I am able to get a stable connexion between a Windows build and this server, I might well reset it soon to allow for actual online play with the nightly versions.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Vladki

The same applies to server.exp.simutrans.com, but feel free to join, explore the maps and test.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

fam621

jamespetts

The listing system is not working properly at present: it is one of the bugs on the list of things to fix. In the meantime, you can join a server by going to the loading dialogue (SHIFT+L) and typing in net:[address of server]. For example, to join the Bridgewater-Brunel server, type in net:bridgewater-brunel.me.uk. However, you will want to re-download the executable file, as I have just fixed an important bug that will cause the game to crash if it is left to run for a while.

fam621

Where can I find the new exe file? Plus, it loads the load saved game index instead of the server thing.

jamespetts

The new .exe file is in the same place as you got the old one.  I do not understand the second sentence.

fam621

Ok, also read the edit. All I mean is that it loads the load saved game index.

jamespetts

This still makes no sense. The problem with the play online dialogue is that the system for recognising whether a server is compatible or not is not working.

To force-join a server, whether compatible or not, you do not use the play online dialogue, but rather the load game dialogue (as I wrote before, SHIFT+L).

Ves

Fam, when you start simutrans, open the "load savegame" dialog (where you usually select which saved game you want to open).
There is a field at the top of that window above all the saved games that is titeled "Filename:" and then a long field where you can type text.
In there you type exactly this text:
net:bridgewater-brunel.me.uk
and then press "OK"

The servergame should be loading now if you are using correct versions.

fam621

It works! All I need now is some people to play with and how to make servers. :) UNTIL THIS HAPPENED!

jamespetts

I am currently investigating a problem in which users appear to be disconnected when new users join. I have found and fixed a bug which might cause this, but whether this is in fact responsible is hard to tell without testing.

I should say that bugs that cause loss of synchronisation with a server can be extremely hard to find (to give some idea of how hard, it once took two people four months to find - not to fix, just to find - one such error), so if this does occur, it may be a very long time before it is rectified.

(Also, losing synchronisation with the server might also be caused by the server crashing or being restarted for testing purposes).

Ves

Funny thing, who is the other one connecting to the bridgewater-brunel game? The bug that when one connects the other disconnects, makes it a quite funny connecting "dance"! Especially when you dont know who your dancing with  ;D

edit btw, that map is avesome! Who created it?

Vladki

Click on 'show mismatched' In the network game list, and you'll see all servers. Then choose one that matches your pakset and executable version.

jamespetts

It was me trying to connect, I think, and the map is Rollermaterial's.

Vladki

Rollermaterial rocks. Great map.

Ves

Indeed! And when you thought that you made you'd seen it all, just go underground.... ?

fam621

Now I know HOW to join a server, how do I make one is the next question? :) It disconnected again!

jamespetts

I am aware of problems with desynchronisation (see here for details) - it will probably take weeks or months of intensive work to fix this. In that time, any server that you create will also have these problems. However, this is not the appropriate thread to discuss the unrelated question of how to create a server. Have you not asked about that on a different thread entirely?

jamespetts

I have updated the server to be compiled with the special DISABLE_RANDOMNESS preprocessor directive for testing. Any ordinary client not built with this preprocessor directive will not be able to stay in sync with the server until I revert it to normal. See here for details.