News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Factory infinite production (wrong display bug?)

Started by ampersand, December 11, 2016, 01:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ampersand

Please have a look at a connected Chicken Farm. Am I right that:
- It keeps filling all the incoming trains with produced eggs?
- It is always full of eggs no matter how much production is carried away by trains?
- It is full of chicken food no matter how many eggs are produced?

Try running the game without supplying  the production - in my opinion it stops, but the factory screen displays full storage. (pleas remove *.c extension from the attached files)

120.1.3 r7753 with 128.german 1966

ampersand

Thanks for paying attention to my post, but after letting this game roll a couple more days, all seems to be in order and this is definitely not a bug  :D
Reasons for the symptoms above seems to be complex, as complex mechanics of this game are. :D The most straightforward answer is that

• there are two independent stock spaces on each factory station: the factory stock and the station (platforms) stock.
They exchange loads between each other, which obviously happens faster than arrivals and departure of trains (sorry, but couldn't find it anywhere in the manual, I wouldn't have written the above post otherwise). In the situation I looked only to the factory screen which displayed correctly factory stock, which was constant number despite leaving trains. It was the station stock that lowered its number with every loaded train. Therefore there is not any bug.
Another question is why the factory did not send anymore production to the station? After checking its consumers, the were filled to the max and "ordered" only the quantity that had been previously transferred to the platform. No further production from this factory was demanded anywhere. Therefore the factory production stopped and its stock remain unchanged while the station stock was lowering. Another conclusion from this situation (sorry, couldn't find it anywhere in the manual, either) is that transfer between the station and factory takes place but is invisible. Its visible effect are changing numbers in the factory and station stocks.

Ters

Suppliers dump all goods that has been ordered by the consumer(s) to suitable stops instantly (but in chunks, of ten I believe). The only thing they keep in their own storage are goods that have not been ordered (there are no consumers at all, or all consumers have what they need for now) or goods that there isn't room for at the stops because they are overcrowded.

An_dz

Quote from: ampersand on December 14, 2016, 12:30:06 PM
(sorry, but couldn't find it anywhere in the manual, I wouldn't have written the above post otherwise)
I'm impressed you found a manual to begin with.

And as I understood it was just a case where you did not know that the factory storage is separated from station storage.