News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

.patch files

Started by brunoresende29, March 14, 2009, 02:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brunoresende29

Please, where I should put the .patch files, or what should I do with them. I put some in the "pak128" file and it did not work. Thanks for reading!  :(

Frank

VS

Judging from how you asked the question, they are probably of no use to you :(

Please read the second paragraph here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patch_(computing)#Types

They are usually added to the game after some reviewing, so eventually you get that functionality, too. Also there is a place for authors to upload "preview" versions with patches added, but it is not used very much.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

brunoresende29

Ok, Thanks for your help! ;D

BudapestTRansport

the patch files which simutrans it is necessary to make a copy into a library?

modnote (whoami): merged with similar topic

whoami

I don't understand the question, for grammatical reasons. How about using simple sentences?

Patches (as published in the forum) are changes to the source code. You can view them as text files, but you can't use them for anything, unless you have a C++ development environment.

BudapestTRansport

this files which simutrans directory needs copy? pak128 or which?

vilvoh

BudapestTRansport, did you actually read what whoami posted?

Quote from: whoami on March 17, 2009, 01:06:26 AM
[..] but you can't use them for anything, unless you have a C++ development environment.

To use them, you need to get the source code, apply the patches and recompile all to get a new Simutrans binary.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

mwoodburn81

Quote from: vilvoh on March 17, 2009, 09:41:53 AM
BudapestTRansport, did you actually read what whoami posted?

To use them, you need to get the source code, apply the patches and recompile all to get a new Simutrans binary.

How do I apply the patch file once I have the source code. (using VC++ express on Windows [vista])  I tried yelling "APPLY PATCH" at the computer, and pressing the "read my mind" button.   And that didn't seam to work for some reason.

Dwachs

Here is a description how to get the source code and compile under Windows:

http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=652.0

The .patch file can then be applied using TortoiseSvn.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

mwoodburn81

do i just put it in the patchs folder, then right click on the file and select, "apply patch" ?

I think I did it correctly.  TortosieMerge pops up with a list of files that was patchs?  Do that mean it worked, and I can try to compile now?

Dwachs

Quote from: mwoodburn81 on September 03, 2009, 05:14:31 AM
do i just put it in the patchs folder, then right click on the file and select, "apply patch" ?
yes
I think I did it correctly.  TortosieMerge pops up with a list of files that was patchs?  Do that mean it worked, and I can try to compile now?
You have to click 'apply patches' in TortoiseMerge and save. Then it should work.

mwoodburn81

Dwachs,

Thank you for your quick reply.  I didn't get it to compile, it looks like I have a path set incorrectly, but I will try to figure it out tomorrow.   This is the first time I tried compiling simutrans in windows.  If it compiled on the first attempt, I don't think it would be any fun, lol.

~Michael.

prissi

The MSVC on windows is highly recommended to compile on windows, as SDL is somewhat difficult to set up in MinGW for Newbies.

VictorKoehler

I'm trying to understand what patches, I know it
Simutrans changes, only this I know, I see some patches and want to download.

But I do not know how to put in Simutrans. :-[
Could anyone tell how to install Patches? (Recalling that I am beginner in this case) ;)

Translated by Google Translator

Download of the PAK64.Brasil b3ta here

kierongreen

You cannot install patches, they make changes to the simutrans sourcecode, and you then need to compile this. You are probably best off waiting for the patch to be incorporated into the main version of simutrans.

sdog

First two questions:
- did you compile the source code before?
- what is your operating system?

Dwachs

IgorEliezer

Topic merged.

EDIT:

But still, we don't have an actual help about patch files, unless some posts here and there.

Question: is there a developer manual anywhere?

VS

Depends on what is "developer manual". The topic is not limited to Simutrans, so most developers will already know what to do. If it's a manual from developers...?

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

IgorEliezer

Sorry, I wasn't precise.

I meant, a Developer wiki for Simutrans. IIRC, I had heard of it somewhere.

VictorKoehler

I do not know compile sdog, I use Windows XP

Download of the PAK64.Brasil b3ta here

prissi

There are two pages on sourceforge, which mirror mostly the text files in the documentation folder. EDIT: JUst saw they changed the wiki format => No, there is no developer wiki.