News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Signal upgrades across working methods

Started by Vladki, May 02, 2017, 12:37:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vladki

Is it possible to allow signal upgrades across working methods? I tried some time ago, but at the moment upgrades work only within the same working method, even if the signals are in the same upgrade_group.
I'd like to allow update from track-circuit to cab-signalling, as that is exactly what happened in czechoslovakia. In mid 1950's automatic 3-aspect track-circuit block signals were introduced, and in mid 1960's cab-signalling equipment was developed. Then gradually all of the lines with track-circuit block were upgraded to allow cab-signalling. The lineside signals have the same visible function (compatibile with trains without cab-signal), the change is only in the electronics...
So I thought it would be sensible to have them automatically upgrade, not only visually (there are three models 50', 60's and 70's), but also in working method: 50's model would be track circuit block, 70's model cab-cignalling (60's model is undecided yet).

jamespetts

Thank you for the feedback, and apologies for the delay in replying: I have been rather busy this week. The idea of not allowing upgrades between different working methods is that the signalling configuration will need to be different between different working methods, so it makes no sense to allow such upgrades.

However, I see that an exception should be made for cab signalling and track circuit block vis a vis one another, as the two are similar enough in function to work alike. I have therefore pushed a change (which I have not had a chance to test yet) which should allow this.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Vladki