News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Release of PakBritain 1.0

Started by The Hood, July 08, 2009, 07:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hood

Finally Pak128.Britain 1.0 is ready for release!  As this is a beta version, it is not fully balanced, and is not complete (e.g. no trucks, boats or planes yet).  To help us get the gameplay right in future, I'd really appreciate people playing this and commenting on how the gameplay is (too easy/hard to make money, what if anything is not quite right, any odd/unrealistic behaviour).  Please make a post about it in the forum.

Hope you enjoy!

TEMPORARY DOWNLOAD LOCATION (because sourceforge is being weird and won't let me upload it):
http://www.2shared.com/file/6611790/cf300a19/pak128Britain_1_0_102.html (download link is very small at the bottom right of the page!)

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I uploaded it to [ simutrans [dot] us (site down, do not visit) ], and I'll pm login info there in case you want to modify/pull...

Meanwhile:
http://[ simutrans [dot] us (site down, do not visit) ]/pak128Britain/

jamespetts

Excellent! This is very good news indeed. This is a really excellent pakset in the making - I know that The Hood and, in the past, Kieron have put an enormous amount of work into it. I am very much looking forward to further developments.

In the meantime, I am planning on producing a version of PakBritain optimised for Simutrans-Experimental, with all of the Simutrans-Experimental features enabled. More on that in due course - watch this space :-)
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

sanna

It is really really nice to have this pak128.Britain release! Thank you! *smile*

But... I am having 2 problems with the pak, the first could very well be something I am doing wrong...

I am playing r2570 on debian/squeeze and after having downloaded the release and placed it in the right folder, I CAN play the pak, but only if I specify it on command line with -objects pak128.Britain/, i.e., the pak does not show up in the pak chooser upon start up - where pak, pak.german, pak192.comic etc nicely are displayed. Anyone have a good idea on what I am doing wrong here?

The second problem is with the Sheep Farms - their wool production keeps blinking between -1 and 16383, both in the Factory List and when in the Factory Details. Is something misconfigured?

Frank

the fixed SheepFarms

extract the BritIndustry.pak and replace the pak files

Quote from: sanna on July 08, 2009, 08:32:52 PM
I am playing r2570 on debian/squeeze and after having downloaded the release and placed it in the right folder, I CAN play the pak, but only if I specify it on command line with -objects pak128.Britain/, i.e., the pak does not show up in the pak chooser upon start up - where pak, pak.german, pak192.comic etc nicely are displayed. Anyone have a good idea on what I am doing wrong here?

ground.Outside.pak is merged, this is wrong

see http://archive.forum.simutrans.com/topic/07012.0/index.html

files delete, new version 1.02

VS

Great! Welcome to the world of playable paksets :)

As to why it is not visible in chooser - folder being a pakset is signalled by existence of file ground.Outside.pak
(is that even valid English?)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Frank

for ground.Outside.pak extract BritGround.pak

jamespetts

Or just rename it :-)

Edit: Incidentally, Frank, thank you very much for fixing the sheep farm :-)

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

The Hood

@Frank - what was the problem with sheep farms so I can fix it in the dat files?

re grounds - I had no idea, I only ever use command line as I'm on linux, will fix.  Any other issues?  I will try and release a bugfix tonight.

jamespetts

One other problem that I have noticed in all versions is that the ground underneath the sheep and cattle farms and oil wells does not appear correctly.

The Hood

That is a long standing bug/consequence of the program code not handling draw_ground=1 properly for fields.  However the problem is resolved if you rotate the map...

Frank

Quote from: The Hood on July 09, 2009, 07:33:00 AM
@Frank - what was the problem with sheep farms so I can fix it in the dat files?

I attached the dat file in my post

Quote from: The Hood on July 09, 2009, 01:04:55 PM
That is a long standing bug/consequence of the program code not handling draw_ground=1 properly for fields.  ...

the parameter is needs_ground

The Hood

Thanks.  I meant needs_ground anyway...

AP

What date does pak-britain officially start at? I recall this is one of the paks with victorian era stuff, but is there enough (yet) to be playable before 1900? I mean, what is the earliest date we should test from?

The Hood

There is a full rail timeline for passengers and goods from 1750, and a full passenger road timeline from 1750.  Industry timeline is also from then.  However, it might not be too fun until you get a few faster things later in the game. 

I've put together a bugfix version, just waiting for somewhere to put it up...

AP

Okay, pre 1840s is, as you say, a bit dead - resisting the temptation to talk in a northern accent ("trouble at t' mill") from overexposure to upland farms - which perversely require industrial ironways to move the freight at present. Look foreward to testing that period with later releases though once it has its complement of road vehicles (and canals/industry).

jamespetts

Yes, although there is coverage back to 1750 (the official start date), we will need better road transport plus boats for canals and the sea for the period before about 1830 (the dawn of the railway age) to be useful.

jamespetts

A new version of Pak128.Britain is now available: see the thread here. All users of Pak128.Britain are recommended to upgrade to this new version, as it contains numerous bug fixes.