News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Multiple rotations for fields

Started by The Hood, September 22, 2008, 07:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hood

Is this possible?  If not can this be an extension request please?  I would like to have fields which are not symmetrical so should look different in different map rotations.

prissi

What do you mean not symmetrical? Fields are tiles next to each other?

The Hood

OK, maybe a screenshot will help.  I have an oil-well, where the pump is defined as a field.  In the different rotations, at present, the same graphic is used as there are no rotations for fields and therefore the pump has a different rotation relative to the storage tanks.  Can it be so that the pump image also rotates?

VS

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

prissi

Impossible. Fileds are not derived from buildings, but are independent (to allow for instance for more season graphics.) [This would only result in very slow animations with at maximum 96 images a year.]

The Hood

The idea of using "fields" to create a wider variety of industries has come up again in pak128.Britain (so the industry would be in effect procedural).  My main reluctance for implementing this is that rotation is currently impossible.  Did you mean that allowing 4 rotations for fields is impossible, or just the animations?  If it is impossible, would it be possible to define a new industry object which was like fields but had rotations but no seasonal views, so lots of different warehouses, storerooms, yards, tanks, etc could be added tile by tile rather than as a large 3x3 block?

prissi

Currently fields are rather like trees: No rotations, no animations, many seasonal changes possible.

The Hood

I understand this - but I'm more asking could fields be added which do have rotations, or perhaps slightly differently, allow a further field-like object that is appended to industries that has rotations but not seasons and is essentially a peripheral building?  See the discussion here:

http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=4454.msg67014#msg67014

I suppose this topic really ought to be moved to extension requests now.