News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Tram track max weight bug.

Started by ӔO, July 22, 2010, 02:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ӔO

In 1934 the Blackpool Balloon is introduced.
It weighs 30t, but with a full load weighs 38.5t and exceeds the 35t limit for the tram tracks.

Blackpool Millennium (38.5t) and Jubilee (38.84t) also have the same problem.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Thank you for pointing this out. It looks like I have already increased the maximum to 38 for the next release, but, because I have had limited time recently, have not actually made the next release. However, it seems that some of the weights when loaded are a bit over 38t in any case, so I have increased it further to 40t. That will show in the next release.

Thank you for the report :-)
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

sdog

changed it to 40t, and will push it to github after testing.

I also suggest to set the introduction date for rail DC catenary to the same date as tram DC catenary 1885. That way we can run trams on rail track sections.

jamespetts

Sdog,

I don't think that trams were run on rail sections in 1885.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

sdog

But i suppose you always had something like this

or ingame like this:

jamespetts

Hmm - but can't you just put tram catenary on the railway lines? Incidentally, is that picture at Seaton?

sdog

tram catenary can't be built on rail tracks. In the screenshot i built tram tracks first then tram catenary and replaced it with standard track later.

by the way, did british trams use standard gauge or metre gauge?

i don't know where the photo is from, except devon, just a random google hit to illustrate what i meant. i'm afraid the only i know about devon is the geological age named after it. on a second glance, it's not good for this purpose. it is a grade crossing, there's a sign at the left and it's in a rural area not a city. (theres a grating to prevent animals to get on the tracks)

Brambo

On a related note, are trains allowed to run on tram tracks in britain-exp? Personnally, I think they should be, there are plenty of real-world examples, probably also in britain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weymouth_Harbour_Tramway)

sdog

yes, there is low speed heavy weight tram track available for this.

Brambo

Hmm when I try this in pakbritain-exp 0.6, my trains keep claiming they can't find a route across (heavyweight) tram tracks. Will this change in the new version?

jamespetts

Quote from: Brambo on July 23, 2010, 08:19:28 PM
Hmm when I try this in pakbritain-exp 0.6, my trains keep claiming they can't find a route across (heavyweight) tram tracks. Will this change in the new version?

What is the weight of the heaviest vehicle in the trains? Are the tracks connected properly? Do the trains require any sort of electrification?

Brambo

I just did a quick test with a light steam loco (lscw terrier, 28t) and found that it does work. My apologies; I used Plateway for part of the track. It does not work with ordinary tram tracks, though (why is this?).

One unrelated issue: when testing this, I tried to make a screenshot. This worked, but the resulting .bmp was all stretched out weirdly. Does anybody else have this problem? Also, empty .png files are created when making a screenshot, though I suspect this is also happening in standard.

jamespetts

Brambo,

tram tracks have a special way constraint which prevents ordinary trains from using them. Heavyweight tram tracks do not have that constraint, to allow for Weymouth Harbour like situations.