News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

some Qs on the pak

Started by sdog, December 10, 2010, 10:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdog

Some Qs on things that look like irregularities or i don't understand.

- it is possible to update any train to the 'upgrade' only auto-fitted class 455.
(this might be an experimental-code issue)
(it's also the only way to get auto trains, unless if starting after 455 were obsolete)

- only 1 autocoach can be connected, not several coaches. from reading wikipedia it seemed to be possible to have trains of several coaches (perhaps only theoretical, but didn't really work?)

- coach stable retires in 1900, first petrol-electric 'buses are available only in 1902. Suggestion alow coach stables until 1919, it doesn't hurt and until after WWI would make sense.

- Bridges and rail icons are many, and completely confusing. I suggest doing like with heavy tram tracks. Add a H for heavy on the icon. Additionally, for the placeholders, steel girder bridges with brick viaduct image, let us put a sign, (*, P, S: for placeholder, or steel) on the icon. I can do this if you want me to.

- After corridor carriages become out of production in the 20s, there's no good fast local train carriage, until something is painted, i suggest to allow purchase of those for a longer period of time.

- No good post ships available in the steam period, shan't we add post capacity to the clyde steamer, in the way pak128 did with it's boats? (invisible trailer i think)

got to go, shall continue later

ps.: learned usage of "will/won't" is AE, while BE would prefer "shall/shan't"

jamespetts

SDog,

thank you for the feedback - much appreciated. I shall answer in turn:

1. What do you mean here "auto-fitted class 455"? The class 455 is a modern (1982) EMU. Do you mean the class 517? The class 1400 is the later replacement for the 517, and it is auto fitted as new (requires no upgrade), and is available from 1930. I can't reproduce the problem that you are having with everything being able to upgrade to the auto fitted 517. The pannier tank is also auto fitted. There is a gap in the timeline for push/pull trains, I agree - finding the time to fill it is the problem!

2. You are probably right about this: I shall change it for the next release.

3. Will be changed for the next version.

4. I should be very grateful indeed for such icons. You don't fancy doing the actual bridge graphics while you're at it, do you? ;-)

5. To which corridor carriages are you referring?

6. This is more of an issue for Standard, since the ship timeline is inherited directly from Standard (and I know is still incomplete). Perhaps re-post this issue on the Standard board?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

sdog

1. i confused 517
i get the auto fitted 517 in 1920 by buying any engine without wagons, send it out of the depot, press replace, remove the engine and then the 517 is available.

4. no doing real graphics is not my cup of tea ;-) i prefer dats

5. LSRW Compartment Carriage

6. shure, but additions can go both ways. but for consistency it's perhaps easier to let the hood handle it. afterall he's pushing to svn alone?

i'm sorry i confused quite a lot of things, not a good idea to finish a posting in a hurry. (got surprised how late it was already)

Update

i've made some stand in buttons for the steel bridges still to do. i aimed for a rough construction sketch style, to convey the idea they haven't been done yet. (pull request sent at github)

update
i've tried to assemble my changes for standard again in my standard branch on github.

jamespetts

Thank you for that.

1. This is actually a bug in Simutrans-Experimental. I think that I have now fixed that on the 9.x branch, but, in so doing, have come across another (this time, GUI related) bug relating to the vehicle replacer that I am finding impossible to track down.

4. Thank you very much for that, although you are missing the graphics in your Github repository - can you upload them?

5. Ahh, yes, more suburban carriages are definitely on my to do list. I bought three books about carriages of the Southern and London, Midland and Scottish railways earlier in the year just for the purpose!

Edit: Thank you very much for uploading the additional buttons. They do make bridge selection easier!
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.