News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

[intended behavior] Impossible to build railway signals on switches.

Started by aliesperet, April 01, 2011, 12:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aliesperet

A few days ago i downloaded simutrans 110.0.1, and today i began to work with it (Pak.128). But as soon as i began to build the first problem appeared: it seems impossible to build railway signals on switches. I immediately got the save file from my old version 102.2.2 and then it got even stranger. The old signals-on-switches were still there (and working) but i could not built any new signals on switches. My question is: Why can't i do that anymore? And if it is an error, could you make sure it is possible in a newer version?
Due to confusion because the owner of this account I emphasize: I am from Noisy-le-Sec, France

Combuijs

Hmm, I never build signals on switches, because I don't know what they will do...
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

VS

The big issue is that signals face a direction, and on a junction (switch) you don't have "front" and "back". So, the behaviour is undefined, perhaps even to some extent rotation dependent, which would be a bug in itself.

To put it in proper terms, on a graph of railway trackage, signals of the currently used kind belong on edges, not nodes.

So, I think it is better to get rid of signals on junctions completely...

There are only two proper alternatives: Putting signals on tile borders, and/or being able to specify which tile sides are fronts and which backs. The former was originally used and abandoned a few years ago. (Probably for some good reason?) The latter increases complexity of signalling and makes the rules less obvious yet again, which is not a good perspective either.

edit: I don't actually know if the change was intentional, but I really hope so :)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

prissi

Your were never allowed to build signals on switches. You could although built switches on signal ... Those signals will work, but trains will stop on tiles without a signal. This is mostly a graphics issue.

This behaviour was introduced due to the new path based signalling. In retrosight, this could have been realized also with signals on tile borders, if trains from north-east would stop a tile earlier than from south west.