News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Whole bunch of ideas

Started by eugene, April 05, 2012, 01:41:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eugene

Ok, so I've been playing for a bit now (too much) and came up with a whole list of ideas (its the engineer in me, can't leave anything alone)

1. Bicycle factories.  High demand in early 1900's, lower demand as car factories rise up, then some small resurgence in demand near the turn of the century as people use them more for recreational use.  Use maybe the same resources as car factories, just smaller quantities.
2. Create a park/recreation area.  Simple icon like a group of trees in a 2x2 tile that can function like an attraction, i.e. have passenger stops.  The more of those you make could cause a demand in people wanting to ride buses/trains to there as well as the purchase of bicycles from the factory (1.).
3. Rubber factory, requires petroleum, supplies car and bicycle factories.
4. Instead of just a fixed cost for vehicles, require a (smaller) fixed cost for maintenance and upkeep and then require use of fuel.  Wood power trains then coal powered trains then gasoline and diesel powered trucks/buses and trains.  All come from the sawmill/coal mine/oil refinery respectively.  All vehicles must stop as refueling stations at certain intervals to refuel.  Could have a special kind of train station where they refuel and you have to deliver fuel to those stations.  Likewise trucks and buses have to stop at gas stations to refuel and you have to deliver fuel there.
5. Gas stations would be built in any town over a specific population and/or within a certain interval of a car dealer.
6. What about farms and grocery stores that food needs transported between.  Again popup one for each x number of citizens .
7. Waste should not be random, should also be based on population of towns, over x number of citizens in a town gets a waste plant, then additional for each x number of people.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

1. Bicycle factory - this is not an extension request; anyone can paint such a thing for any pak; thus it is a request for pak-maintainers, not Simutrans itself. :)

2. This could be painted as an "attraction" - again, pak-specific.

3. Again, factories are painting issues, not extension requests. :)

4. Something like this has previously been discussed and denied. The difficulty of such things, in a nutshell, is the chicken-and-egg problem - what vehicles you have that don't require fuel that you much purchase to first build a network of fuel before you can do anything else on a map.

5. This has also been discussed. My impression of the situation is that it is possibly considered, but unlikely to be done soon; and perhaps not at all. I may be remembering something from Experimental; don't remember the source, sorry.

6. This sounds like #5, so addressed in it.

7. If the other ideas of more end-factories in more cities takes off at some point, this is a good point to consider. :)

Carl

Quote from: eugene on April 05, 2012, 01:41:59 AM
4. Instead of just a fixed cost for vehicles, require a (smaller) fixed cost for maintenance and upkeep and then require use of fuel.  Wood power trains then coal powered trains then gasoline and diesel powered trucks/buses and trains.  All come from the sawmill/coal mine/oil refinery respectively.  All vehicles must stop as refueling stations at certain intervals to refuel.  Could have a special kind of train station where they refuel and you have to deliver fuel to those stations.  Likewise trucks and buses have to stop at gas stations to refuel and you have to deliver fuel there.
Experimental has fixed-maintenance costs as well as per-km costs, but no specific fuel requirements.

An_dz

7. Waste plants are pakset specific, they act like normal factories. Add such functionality in the code will 'force' pak-maintainers to add such factories.