News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

New Way Graphics

Started by kierongreen, July 14, 2012, 08:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kierongreen

It's deliberately broken as the graphics within all had new versions in subsequent attachments :)

jamespetts

Ahh, fair enough.

These new graphics don't work with existing .dat files, it seems: is that intended?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

kierongreen

See above:
QuoteAlso important to note is that these *aren't* compatible with current trunk, you'll have to wait till the more bridge images patch gets added.
Because the single height versions of these graphics are now half the original height there is going to be incompatibility in game (the same as there was when double height ways were introduced). Therefore I felt it better to have a logical layout to dats and images.

If you want to make existing dats work with the new images (e.g. for experimental) a simple find/replace 2.0 with 4.0, 2.1 with 4.1, 2.2 with 4.4, 2.3 with 4.5, 0.x with 2.x and 1.x with 3.x should work.

jamespetts

It's probably easier to leave the images as they are until Experimental merges in the half heights code - thank you for the clarification, however.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

kierongreen

Good luck with that whenever you do merge those changes... They are, extensive!

kierongreen

Just a progress update - I've not included pngs this time as when I'm finished it's probably going to be easier to replace all the current ones with new versions. 19/20 rail bridges, 4/5 narrow gauge bridges, 0/9 canal bridges and 5/11 road bridges converted.

Screenshot shows some of the new rail bridges (well, actually the 5th from left is the only one left to redraw).

jamespetts

greenling

Kierongreen
The Bridge they are the Hammer.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

The Hood

Excellent progress. We need to look at getting the half height stuff into pak128.Britain. Is the half height bridge code in trunk yet? It might make sense to add them all in together. Even better if we can get you write access to pak128.Britain SVN and you can incorporate it all yourself?

kierongreen

Right - revised graphics/dats for all rail, narrow gauge and electric bridges below:
http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/hh-bridges-230713-rail-dat-png.zip
http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/hh-bridges-230713-narrow-dat-png.zip
http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/hh-bridges-230713-electric-dat-png.zip

I've tried to update max_height in these to better suit double heights - although really we could do with more than a 7 height limit but that's another story... Also night pixels have been removed from all the images.

Source blends and textures for rail bridges (apologies if textures have moved location between some blend files you might need to reload them in blender) - had to split into multiple files because of size:
http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/hh-bridges-230713-rail-blends-oldest.zip
http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/hh-bridges-230713-rail-blends-middle.zip
http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/hh-bridges-230713-rail-blends-newer.zip
http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/hh-bridges-230713-textures.zip

Narrow gauge and powerlines are pixel edited so no sources
'Just' canals and roads to go now. Although will need to make sure elevated ways are updated to match new bridge images in some cases... Is there any plan to have any more than 2 canal bridges in standard (masonry and brick)? Then I don't need to bother with all the different sizes used by experimental....

Half height code is in trunk yes. I don't have write access to the SVN though :(

jamespetts

I think that the various sizes of canal are used in Standard as well, aren't they? It's just that there is no way there of stopping the larger boats from using the smaller canals, but people wanting realism can choose so to limit themselves if they so desire.

greenling

Hello Kierongreen
The new Powerlines and new the Railbridge looks very good out.
It's Possible all zips from the 14 Juli 2012,17 Juli 2012,19 Juli 2012 to send me per Email?
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)

kierongreen

greenling - new way graphics in this thread have been added to the main SVN at http://simutrans.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/simutrans/pak128.Britain/

When I finish all the double height graphics there should be a new release of pak128.Britain (but this will have to be released simultaneously with the release of the first stable simutrans version with double height support).

The Hood

Kieron, I'd like you to have write access. Do you have a sourceforge account? IIRC when I joined I had to get a sourceforge account then either prissi or Dwachs gave me write access to the svn. I guess we need to do something similar with you? I don't think I can give you write access...

kierongreen

I do now - username is, surprise surprise, kierongreen :)

The Hood

Excellent. Now you are added please feel free to incorporate any of your half height changes. I'm guessing that means just the landscape and way ones but not bridges until that has been added to trunk code. If bridges code has also been added then by all means add the lot as you do it.

kierongreen

Bridge code is in trunk :) Ok, well I'm just trying to get through elevated ways for rail and narrow gauge then I'll commit all landscape, rail, narrowgauge and electric stuff. I'll put ways only for roads in as well. Then that'll be it for a week as I'm away gallivanting around the country visiting friends tomorrow :)

The Hood

Have fun. Just stick it in when you get time - just it'll be quicker and less buggy if you do it seeing as you wrote it :)

kierongreen

Apologies but I got distracted getting the SVN access set up, bringing .tab files up to date, and then fixing missing vehicle images in the SVN.... Getting there but I think it's likely to be next week before I manage to commit double height files.

The Hood

No worries. There's plenty of changes still on my list. I reckon we get those all done then go for a new release in a month or so.

greenling

Hello
kierongreen thank you for the link.
I was yesterday a little bit derailed.

kierongreen

Well, that's me just got my local copy of the SVN up to date with all my changes - I'll save the commit until I've finished elevated ways and bridges though I think.

One point for discussion over the next week or so though - should we allow steep slopes on railways? It's possible to only allow railways to be built on the shallow slopes (and use compatibility dats to load old game with the steeper slopes without permitting new construction). This seems to be the way pak128 is going and I wonder whether it would be easier for players if all paksets conformed to this behaviour. The argument for allowing steep slopes is that there is a high friction penalty with them, and there are places on the real life network which have quite steep gradients. The argument against allowing steep slopes is that they look unrealistically steep, and not allowing them gives more of a benefit to narrow gauge and roads (which would allow them).

jamespetts

I think that it is better to allow them, but with a higher "friction" penalty: it is worthwhile to simulate the differing levels of gradient on railways, which is a significant feature of them. It might be worthwhile not allowing some of the larger canals, however (the ship canals, for instance) to be built on steeper slopes.

kierongreen

The friction penalty is hard coded into simutrans. As part of introducing double height I changed this from 16 to 12 for single height and 24 for double height slopes (if I remember correctly).

Carl

Quote from: kierongreen on July 24, 2013, 11:07:03 PM
(and use compatibility dats to load old game with the steeper slopes without permitting new construction).

One option would be to treat all slopes in older savegames as shallow slopes. Converting them all to steeper slopes might cause some havoc in conjunction with friction changes.

The Hood

Unless different way types can have different penalties for steeper slopes, I'd be in favour of banning heavy rail from steep slopes. Trams, narrow gauge, roads and some canals would allow them.

kierongreen

It does cause a bit of chaos yes... Howeuer there's no way of telling old converted slopes from new steep slopes really. Best that could be done would be to use the old friction value with a single height pakset.

The Hood

I suggest we release a legacy BritWay.pak allowing double height slopes for those that need it for old games, but all official releases only allow half height rail slopes - over time that would be what everyone uses on new games...

kierongreen

What Fabio suggested for pak128 was keeping the old paks with the same name but removing icons so they can't be built. Then including single height only versions of paks for new building. All of this would be invisible to players though - they'd just not be able to build or upgrade on steep slopes from now on.

The Hood

jamespetts

Would it not be sensible to have the friction factors settable in simuconf.tab? This would be really very simple to programme.

kierongreen

kierongreen

Right - pak128.Britain now had double heights enabled in SVN. Graphics aren't complete - status is as follows:
Power, Railways, Trams and Narrowgauge - complete (including matching elevated ways and bridges).
Road - way images done, elevated ways (may) need updating, some bridges still need half height image.
Canals - way images done, aquaducts need half height images.
Maglevs - way images, elevated ways and bridges all need half height images.

Guess what my job for last week of holidays is....

jamespetts

Quote from: kierongreen on August 03, 2013, 10:28:01 PM
Guess what my job for last week of holidays is....

Sorting your socks?

kierongreen

All maglev ways, elevated ways and bridges redrawn and in SVN (using the files provided by AEO last year - finally got conversion working properly) with 2 heights. Just aquaducts, road bridges and one elevated road to go now...