News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

High Speed Tunnel in late game

Started by dschr, September 30, 2014, 11:49:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dschr

Hello,

i would be glad if a high speed tunnel could be added for the late game (>1985) as the fastest tunnel only permits 160 km/h.

jamespetts

Is there such a thing as a high speed tunnel in reality?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

dschr

Oh yes, James, of course there are!
For instance Tunnel de Saverne in France to cross Les Vosges between Baudrecourt and Strasbourg at the Eastern part of the LGV Est Européenne is build for a regular speed of 320 km/h.
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnel_de_Saverne

And the even longer Schulwaldtunnel at the SFS Köln-Frankfurt can be used with a regular speed of 300 km/h.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schulwaldtunnel

And for an earlier example, the 10 km long Landrückentunnel at the SFS Hannover-Würzburg was started 1981 and finished 1988 and has a regular speed of 250 km/h.
The much shorter Pfingstbergtunnel near Mannheim was build even earlier: between 1976 and 1985 and has the same speed limit.

...and this is only a random list of the ones i have in mind right now. I bet that Japan and France had Tunnel at the same speed limits even earlier.

Oh and by the way: Not only Tunnels, but also switches are available for high speed rails. Today's new build switches have a speed limit up to 200 km/h  for teeing (!) trains. And this limit doesn't require any tilting functionalities of the train.
So for instance in everyday use at the station Bitterfeld at the route between Berlin--Halle (Saale) with the teeing to --Leipzig.
Switches with a high speed between 160km/h and 200km/h for the teeing ast are constructed and in use since 1984 here.
In 1960's switches had a speed limit of 130 km/h at the new build station of Ludwigshafen.
(Ehm, this is just a short summary of this wikipedia article: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eisenbahnweiche )
...To make it short, i guess that the speed limits in simutrans for tunnels and switches are too low and this especially matters on high speed routes from the 1980's until today.

jamespetts

Interesting - I was not aware of those. It is noteworthy that there are no UK precedents for this, which is why these tunnels may well not be in Pak128.Britain. I have moved the topic to the general (rather than the Experimental specific) Pak128.Britain board for further discussion.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

dschr

Okay. How about those Tunnels and Switches at the HS1?

jamespetts

Hmm, interesting: I had not thought of that. This would need new graphics, I think.

Junna

I think that the Severn Tunnel and the Channel Tunnel both have such low speed limits due to them being under-water tunnels with special conditions and issues associated therewith necessitating a more limited speed (as well as the mixed-traffic, I presume). I know some of the rather lengthy tunnels on new high-speed lines in China have speed limits of 350km/h.

(The in-game Maglev had its speed limit throttled a while ago to a very low level as I recall, 200km/h.)

The Hood

Hang on - there are already 350km/h HS tunnels in the game - or at least there should be. Can you give more details?

dschr

Hello,

sure:
I am using the half height branch from here:
https://github.com/jamespetts/simutrans-pak128.britain/tree/half-heights
together with simutrans experimental:
https://github.com/pipcet/simutrans-experimental/tree/berlin

The fastest tunnel is shown ingame as "RailTunnelHighSpeed" and has the named maximum speed of 160km/h.
If you give me the file name of the 350-Tunnel i can search within the file directory wether it exists here or not.

Greetings

jamespetts

Are these in Standard but not in Experimental? If so, I shall have to port them.

The Hood

They have been in Standard for about 5 years (or more) I think!

jamespetts

It's very unlikely that they are absent specifically from Experimental, in that case.

The Hood

They are definitely in Standard (nightly and latest release). I notice that Experimental has different tunnel definitions to Standard though. The one labelled "High Speed" is 350km/h in Standard but only 160km/h in Exp.