News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Recording

Started by Jockua1, August 27, 2014, 03:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockua1

Hi Guys

I have been playing this game for an exceptional amount of time now almost 10 years and now I am older and more mature I have recently started a YouTube channel for fun why not, but I dont know if you can do this in Simutrans Experimental (yet to play), but it would be fantastic if you could record the game easily with such programmes as Fraps and DXtory, I know that you can record it already but it is a massive pain in the ****, so I dont know if you could alter the game or such but it is a suggestion to make this game "Recording friendly", not just for me but also for others.

Thank you for reading and bye bye! ☺

IgorEliezer

Hi,

I think this is a question not limited to Simutrans Experimental since it has to do with the game rendering/core engine.

I tried to record Simutrans with Fraps. Yes, it can't unless you record whole screen with taskbar and all. As an alternative, you can use Open Broadcaster Software with some setup tweak.

DrSuperGood

Since everything is software rendered there really should be an option to pipe the final frames through some sort of encoder. Console emulators for only 8 and 16 bit consoles do this since they also cannot be recorded conventionally as a result of software emulated graphics. Live streams are probably more tricky but I am sure there is some open source library somewhere to do the transmission and interface with stream service providers.

prissi

It is entirely possible. However, the problem is that simutrans does not have a fixed frame rate, but varies it according to neccessities. Furthermore, many codecs cannot handle 25 fps in HD together with the load of the game in real time. The biggest issue is the UI for codec selection in windows ... I have a hack which could do this. It was never very stable nor user friendly though.