News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

TileCutter 0.5.6 Release

Started by Ashley, February 22, 2011, 03:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashley

There is a newer release of TileCutter available, see: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=6962.0

If you do encounter any issues while using TileCutter please submit a bug report by posting in reply to this thread with the following information:

1. Circumstances and description of the issue
2. tilecutter.log and TileCutter5.exe.log (if present)
3. Copy of the tc.config file

Changes 0.5.6:

FIX: Many issues with proper handling of Unicode and UTF-8 input files.
ADD: Better logging module
ADD: Move bulk of program into module to give small optimisation due to bytecode compilation

Changes 0.5.5:

ADD: Proper selection of path to makeobj via GUI
ADD: Command line scriptability:
Specify path to multiple .tcp files for automatic processing
Override output location of .dat/.png
Specify .pak output if required
Usage: "TileCutter5 -h" will give command line usage info
ADD: Ability to select .dat file output via UI checkbox
FIX: Selecting a file at the root of a drive on Windows leads to wrong path display
ADD: Basic documentation now available on website (via Online Help link in menu)

Known Bugs
- Panel display bug when choosing different languages, workaround is to resize the window

What's new
Command Line interface for scripting
Ability to disable .dat file output
Online documentation

What's still to do
Specific platform source distribution via .zip/.tar.gz file
Lots of testing
Smoke editor
Mac distribution
Windows msi installer

Notes

Please see here for TileCutter documentation

All the paths in the main window are relative to the project save location path. This is intended to allow you to put all your work files in one directory, and then to be able to move or zip that directory and send it to someone else while preserving all the links to the images. Also note that the images are not saved with the project file, only links to them are (this may change at some point).

It's also worth pointing out that in order for the one click exporting to work (e.g. makeobj integration) you need to have filled out the correct details in the dat editing window. Currently this is just a text entry box, but this will change in future to a proper dat editing UI. The image array information is automatically generated and appended to whatever you type into this box.

Download
You can download this release of TileCutter from the following link:

TileCutter_win_0.5.6.zip (5.4 MB)

You can also download a source distribution:

TileCutter_src_0.5.6.zip (232 KB)

NOTE: The source distribution requires that you have Python 2.6 or better installed already, and depends upon the wxWidgets library.

And you can check out the source for this release from the SVN, using this URL:

svn://entropy.me.uk/timothy/tilecutter/tags/0.5.6/

And the current latest version from this one:

svn://entropy.me.uk/timothy/tilecutter/trunk/

I recommend upgrading to this version over all previous versions of TileCutter, especially the 0.3 branch.
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

Václav

I saw you included czech translation I did today. But also I saw I will have to reload it with new - because I don't see there some translations I did.

-->
It is very strange. Still less result. Log and config files in attachment.

Installed Python 2.7 (originally I had not installed it) and wxwidgets for 32-bit Python 2.7 (but I am not sure if use unicode or ansi)

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

Ashley

Can you try this version and post the log file please?

http://entropy.me.uk/tilecutter/download/TileCutter_src_0.5.6.1.zip

As for the translations, I just used the version I exported from SimuTranslator yesterday. I'll update it again when we fix this bug :)
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.

IgorEliezer

Minor bug: TileCutter can't use the translation in pop-up windows.

EDIT:

Missing strings in SimuTranslator:

&File
&Tools
&Help

Václav

Thanks for source - but how to run it - or compile it? You can send it to my e-mail - and delete this post. But I think it would be useful for other people too. So this would be another good guide.

I am sorry for this question - but I have not experience with compilation (or running of such software) yet.

Ashley

Vaclav - I was under the impression you were running the source version already since you said you had installed Python and wx? All you need to do (or should need to do) is to unzip the files and then run tilecutter.pyw by double-clicking on it. If you have Python and wxPython installed it will just run.

Python isn't "compiled" as such. The windows .exe is just a package which contains a copy of the Python interpreter and necessary libraries. If you have these installed already then you can directly run the source version :)

If not I can generate a copy of the windows distribution and upload it - do try running the source version though if you can.

Igor - I'll have a look, thanks :)

Václav

Thanks. I was a little faster in running of it. But small help is greeted whenever.

It is a little easier than with PHP. But don't wait learning python.  ;) But may it be that I would learn it too - regardless of PHP has else dictionary and structure of scripts. But something is similar and it will be very useful.

In attachment is archive with log and config files.

Ashley

I think I have isolated the issue. Python's os.environ apparently isn't unicode-aware, so on Windows it returns strings encoded with the system locale's file encoding. On English systems this won't break since the strings almost always just contain ASCII strings. On non-English systems you get characters encoded in strange ways.

A workaround would be to change the value of "last_save_path" in the config file to some directory as this would override the behavior of trying to locate the user's home directory.

Please try this version and see if it fixes the issue :)

http://entropy.me.uk/tilecutter/download/TileCutter_src_0.5.6.2.zip

Václav

Ashley

Quote from: VaclavMacurek on February 23, 2011, 07:51:49 AM
Yes. It runs. ;D

Excellent :)

Could you post the log? I want to check what it is doing.

Václav

Of course.
I have already prepared source pictures for two buildings since finding it runs.

Ashley

Ah thanks for the log :) I have already found two other bugs from looking at it.

Václav

Yes.

Open project does not run. After click on Open project nothing happens. I don't know if it is what you thought - but it is very incomfortable. Because I have made some changes on two buildings - and it is very bothering to set all four pictures again - while differences between them are quite small.

Ashley

Ah can you post the log file again, it's probably a similar issue.

Václav

Of course. Here it is.

Ashley

Václav

Open file dialogue open - but no file is loaded. Still default screen (new project screen) stays.

In attachment is log file. Currently as *.txt file.

Ashley

Could you post the .tcp file please? I am having trouble working out why it isn't working from the log.

Václav

Problem solved. It was what I began thinking then - previous version of TileCutter created *.tcp file in wrong way. And current version was not able to open it. But one thing is still strange - date of creation/chenge of file. See files inside the  attached archives (I am sorry for using my native language).

... oops ... I decided to attach tcp of new version (KoncovaNadrazniBudova-Stred) and tcp of opld version (KoncovaNadrazniBudova-Kridlo2) for comparison.

Ashley

Ok, I am glad that it works. I was wondering whether it was maybe a case of one of the earlier versions saving a corrupt file. I am close to having a new version to release for general use now I think.

Václav

Thanks. I looking forward to seeing it published.

And by the way, this is building where new TileCutter helped me very much.

This is not final face, of course.