News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Train station at the start and end of tunnels

Started by emaxectranspoorte, December 30, 2008, 02:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emaxectranspoorte

Train station at the start and end of tunnels: when train tunnel starts you can place station tunnel, either starting there, and/or part of an entire station (part of a station is outside, on surface, part underground and/or running through the tunnel entrace and/or exit). I apologize for taking soo long for this to be said. But I was thinking how to formulate this idea. If this was said before... then... I guess... :-\ :-\

Edit: Similarly with tram/bus/maglev stations :)

VS

I suspect this belongs to "not possible" list.

The tunnel entrance is only one tile, so you can give up two carriages in that place...

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

emaxectranspoorte

Quote from: VS on December 30, 2008, 03:10:48 PM
I suspect this belongs to "not possible" list.

The tunnel entrance is only one tile, so you can give up two carriages in that place...

Probably... yes... if you say so...  :-\ :-\ :-\

VS

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

kierongreen

I think this is blocked purely for graphical reasons - there's no technical reason why  stations can't exist on tunnel start/end tiles.

Peyo

What about in a complex tunnelling system?

Fabio

Quote from: kierongreen on January 05, 2009, 10:24:43 PM
I think this is blocked purely for graphical reasons - there's no technical reason why  stations can't exist on tunnel start/end tiles.

So it shouldn't be too hard to allow. it could use the station graphics, cutting them according to the slope of the tunnel exit

kierongreen

Not quite that simple - would look a little strange I think. But when I was adding the underground mode I had to add a bit of logic to allow stations to be built only underground or overground not on inbetween bits (before this only overground was allowed). So it is purely a code issue. If someone wanted to write a patch to allow it and compile a binary themselves it would be trivial to change. Somehow I doubt it'd ever get into the official release though.

emaxectranspoorte

Ahhh...  :(

Anyway ... doesn't matter, thanks to all. :)

AP

Quote from: kierongreen on January 06, 2009, 07:37:31 PMNot quite that simple - would look a little strange I think.

There are precedents, though, for stations which are part-underground and part-overground. Several on the London Underground network, for starters. For expanding stations in constrained urban locations (ie between tunnels), I can see this as very useful.

jamespetts

Quote from: AP on January 16, 2009, 10:52:02 PM
There are precedents, though, for stations which are part-underground and part-overground. Several on the London Underground network, for starters.

Hmm, which ones are you thinking of? Paddington (Hamersmith & City), perhaps?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

AP

Paddington is one, yes, but I was actually thinking of Rotherhithe on the East London Line.

Am sure I remember another of the major ones (?Baker Street?) being similar half-in half-out. But it's been a while since I used the tube!

Of course a large number of 'normal' stations have buildings over the top - Birmingham New Street as an example.

Whilst the "tunnel" may be man-made, it's still a tunnel (from the point of view of how you'd create it in simutrans at least); the fact remains that in both simutrans and RL city centre real estate has a value. So being able to put a station half-in half-out, with something else on top (airport? bus interchange?) has a value.  I can also imagine it having uses on a hilly map where you want to get a station between viaduct and tunnel (although you can build them out onto the bridges now I know.

emaxectranspoorte

kierongreen

I'm aware of examples in real life (quite rare). Graphically it would look odd though with current graphics...

Stubbsy

there is quite a few stations in england like this, not just on the underground.

jamespetts

Quote from: Stubbsy on January 18, 2009, 08:22:27 PM
there is quite a few stations in england like this, not just on the underground.

Birmingham New Street? Platforms 11-12 at Paddington...?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Stubbsy

Paddington has some, there quite a few on the underground and then you have one just off from Stratford, cant remember name, and there are plenty more.

emaxectranspoorte

Quote from: Stubbsy on January 18, 2009, 08:22:27 PM

Could you come up with some pictures?

Thanks.

ij

One from Helsinki (Finland), on a local, non-underground train line:

http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malminkartanon_rautatieasema

However, I don't know how often the trains are long enough to need those non-tunnel parts of the platform, I only very rarely use that line.

emaxectranspoorte