News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Ownership of industries

Started by Vladki, October 14, 2017, 04:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vladki

I know one can buy city houses. I think it is just for amusement, if you want to prevent the city (or other player) to upgrade or remove them.

Would it be possible to buy industries? At the beginning only to prevent them from closing when they are obsolete.
When preparing the demo game I wanted to put an "easter egg" to the far away end of map - an old mine and ironworks labeled as mining museum, but they keep closing at the end of month.

As a further addition, buying an industry could be a way to get some more profit or loss (like it was in railroad tycoon 2).

jamespetts

That is an interesting idea - but it would require a whole new layer of simulation of the profitability of industries, which would be a truly gargantuan amount of work to do other than very superficially (and to make work properly in conjunction with the forthcoming logistics changes that are on the passenger-and-mail-classes branch).

The buying of town houses, incidentally, I do plan to enhance one day so that the player will be able to earn rental income from them - but only in so far as they are occupied, which will require a whole new simulation layer of building occupancy (but this is potentially worthwhile when town growth is considered in any event). I also plan when overhauling city growth to simulate land value properly so that it would be possible to buy land when the value is low, build houses, build good transport connexions to the houses, wait for the land value to rise, and then sell the land to finance the next expansion of the transport network, and so forth (as the Metropolitan Railway did in London).

Simulating actual ownership of industries (as opposed to being a landlord to somebody else's industry), however, would be a whole other layer of complexity again.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Vladki

And would it be possible (not too much work) for the time being to just buy industries to prevent them from closing/upgrading when they get obsolete? Just as with city houses? Without simulating profit/loss from the business/rent itself?

jamespetts

The trouble with that is that that would seriously unbalance the game unless at least losses could be simulated, as it would enable the players to make all the profit from transporting the goods of an unprofitable industry without actually having to bear the losses of that unprofitable industry. It would, in effect, amount to an exploit.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.