News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

How can I change timeline setting ?

Started by ironingot, February 10, 2015, 06:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ironingot

hi
I have play simutrans britain on new map with timeline mode.(version is 120)
But I was know serious problem. If you use timeline mode, any construction tools will be disable from 3000 year.
I want to continue to play after 3000 years.
So I searched much web pages. but I couldn't find good answer
Does anyone have good idea for this issue ? I need your help.

Leartin

In the year 2999, the technological singularity happens. With this, humanity ascends to a higher sphere, continuing their existence as mere entities of light with no physical body. Thus, "transportation" and "goods" lose their meaning, as does the creation of rail networks...

More seriously though, every object which has no expiration date defined uses the year 2999 instead. So you need to turn time back, or switch time off. What used to work is changing the save format to xml (write the line "saveformat = xml" in your simuconfig.tab), and editing that save with some kind of text editor. There should be a big block "settings" in that file, followed by 3 instances of <i32>...</i32>, which are the current date. Somewhere in the settings-block, you should find a line like <i16>1850</i16>, which is the starting date of your game. The line above, a boolean, should be the indication whether timeline is used.

I hope there is an easier solution for you...

Ters

Going to the settings window and turnint off timeline is a lot easier. I think some pak sets give easier access to the settings than others, so there are different ways to do this. How to find this window after a new game has been startet has been explained before, so try searching.

DrSuperGood

QuoteGoing to the settings window and turnint off timeline is a lot easier. I think some pak sets give easier access to the settings than others, so there are different ways to do this. How to find this window after a new game has been startet has been explained before, so try searching.
That is not the same as it will mess up the speed bonus values causing stuff to earn far more than it should. Or at least I think it will from some experiences with online servers.

Instead of a default expiration date of 3000 stuff should never expire. I am not even sure why 3000 was chosen for the stuff to expire unless stuff always had to expire (or else some error occurred). It might be best if it was changed that stuff does not have to expire.

Ters

Those that set it probably never imagined that anyone should have the patience to play for that long, assuming they start playing in the 20th century. For me, it's unimaginable reaching year 3000. It would take me somthing like 50 real years to reach that date in Simutrans, but I'm not a particularly dedicated player. Even if I played more regularly, after 200 game years, the lack of new vehicles would make the game dreadfully boring. (I hate doing urban transport.)

By the year 3000, that earnings are way off are probably not that important, as I expect players to have accumulated so much money that economics doesn't matter anymore. (I usually reach that point after only 50 game years, but that's with an early start in pak64.)

prissi

Also until five years ago or so, SImutrans could never reach years above 2716 (or so). Hence the default reitre year of 2999 was already infinity.

DrSuperGood

I still think it would be a good idea to re-define the expiration date of "no expire" as "infinite" (never obtainable) rather than 1/1/3000. This would avoid this problem entirely.

One of prissi's servers (I think they were his) made it to 2200 odd before it became instable and was shut down. It all depends on how long months are defined with shorter months (500-1000 tiles per month at 100 km/h) can reach pretty insane dates without much difficulty.

Sarlock

Or at the very least set it equal to what the new maximum date is.
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

DrSuperGood

QuoteOr at the very least set it equal to what the new maximum date is.
Should there be a maximum data? Maybe it should repeat the last year over and over.

NNW

[0fftopic]
QuoteIn the year 2999, the technological singularity happens. With this, humanity ascends to a higher sphere, continuing their existence as mere entities of light with no physical body. Thus, "transportation" and "goods" lose their meaning, as does the creation of rail networks...

[/offtopic]