News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Food add-on

Started by jameskuyper, October 07, 2012, 01:45:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jameskuyper

I've downloaded the Food add-on for pak64. I'd like to play a game using it. What do I need to do to make that happen? It seems like a trivial question that should be easy to answer, and I've found several different answers in various locations, but none of them worked.

Combuijs

Easiest solution is copying all *.pak files from the food pak in the directory where pak64 is stored. This is in your Simutrans directory, very likely to be named "pak".

A much better solutions is to put them in a special add-ons directory, but that is just that little bit more complicated.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Ters

However, if you've installed Simutrans "properly", you won't have (direct) write access to the directory where Simutrans and pak64 is installed. In that case, I believe the add-on directory is in the simutrans subdirectory of your home/documents directory. Where that is, depends on the operating system. (As some sort of tester/consulting developer, I don't install these things properly.)

jameskuyper

Quote from: Combuijs on October 07, 2012, 10:33:22 AM
Easiest solution is copying all *.pak files from the food pak in the directory where pak64 is stored. This is in your Simutrans directory, very likely to be named "pak".
I tried that before, but it didn't work. I just tried it again, and now it works. I must have done something wrong the previous times. Thanks!

Quote from: Ters on October 07, 2012, 11:38:59 AM
However, if you've installed Simutrans "properly", you won't have (direct) write access to the directory where Simutrans and pak64 is installed. In that case, I believe the add-on directory is in the simutrans subdirectory of your home/documents directory. Where that is, depends on the operating system. (As some sort of tester/consulting developer, I don't install these things properly.)
I'm running Ubuntu Linux, and I have a system administrator account, so getting access was not a problem.
I tried putting them in /home/james/simutrans/add-on; I also tried the names  add-ons and pak for that subdirectory, which were other suggestions I found. None of those worked.

Ters

Does /home/james/simutrans contain your save games and settings? If not, then Simutrans has been installed in single-user mode where the game and all data are stored together.

MagnusA