News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Growth problem

Started by killwater, February 01, 2016, 07:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

killwater

As mentioned in other thread I am experiencing problems with city growth - namely the lack thereof. I supplied (or at least tried to supply) a save game in the "Some feedback" thread.
Also one of the plays resulted in a lot of growth but all going to one city that would grow 10 fold in 5 years - no save unfortunately. This city was not supplied with any transportation of passengers or goods. I do not think there were any factories in it.

Edit: Well I've been wrong I do have autosave:
http://www.megafileupload.com/advZ/autosave01.sve

Edit2: It seems that after I deleted that city (east centre of the map the biggest one) growth started in other cities as well.

Edit3: It looks that I was wrong. There is growth but it is extremely slow due to very small population in the cities I have. This does not explain the huge growth that went to one city as I wrote earlier.

jamespetts

I have not had chance to look into this fully yet, but there is a setting in simuconf.tab for different rates of growth for small, medium and large towns. If these were set in odd ways, this might explain the behaviour that you report here. Have you looked into this aspect of things? (I seem to recall that you were using a pakset other than Pak128.Britain-Ex).
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

killwater

I use Pak128.Britain-Ex 9.1.2 and I did not change the settings you mentioned. Only those regarding climate and driving on left. I started another game with a little bit bigger cities (600-2500 residents) and it works much better. I think the solution to this problem lays more in communicating with the player - like leaving the change value for a little bit longer in the city list so one can see that there in fact is some growth. One can see that in the chart in a longer timescale.

Another issue is a runaway growth for a single city on the beginning  of the game like from 2k to 4-5k in about 2-3years. It happened in both games. After deleting this city with public player the issue disappear.

jamespetts

I do intend completely to rewrite t he city growth algorithm in due course, which should hopefully make growth much more sensible, but, until then, you can adjust the numbers in simuconf.tab.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

killwater

Ok I understand. I thought that it was done already.  Thank you for the replies  :)

jamespetts

Sadly not. This will be a very big project.