News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Problem with goods demand and supply

Started by killwater, February 14, 2016, 06:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

killwater

There is a huuuuge [literally] problem with goods demand and supply. some vegetables and meat has eg 811748817979 in transit.

Save file:
http://www.filedropper.com/1_38

See screenshots for examples.
Please note that I play at 175% in transit percentage setting.

Lewis

Make sure the slaughter house is connected to the market.

killwater

I do believe it is connected properly. What is more the schooner is docking with cattle however it does not unload.

Please also note possible connection to this problem:
http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=15284.msg150583#msg150583

jamespetts

Thank you for this report. Can I confirm whether the issue is just the fact that you did not have enough tiles on your schooner dock?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

killwater

Yes, indeed this was the issue. However it should not cause the whole supply chain to collapse. It makes in transit number very big and industries stop accepting goods from other suppliers as well. It would be great if it could be fixed. Also a warning that schooner is to long for the stop (like for trains) would be useful.  It is especially confusing because it only affects canals and rivers - it works fine on regular docks.

killwater

Hello
I am sorry to report that in transit number is still huge. So it probably is a separate issue.

jamespetts

Can you upload a saved game that has run for some time after the dock length has been fixed? This would help me to isolate the problem.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

killwater

Hello James
Here is the file:
http://www.filedropper.com/1_24
See Horingport Power Station for example. In transit number is huge. I also think that ships requiring two station tiles are not working correctly anyway. They do not load in full. See Pintleigh Junction dock as an example. There seem to be a connection between the two issues.

Edit: Just to add to this it is possible that this problem is connected only with ships with manually added holds.

jamespetts

I have just tried to download this, but the file seemed to be a picture of a building rather than a saved game.

In the meantime, can you confirm whether the problem is related to the holds making the ships too long for the docks? The holds actually add length each.

killwater

Hello James
The hosting definitely deleted the file as it was quite old. Unfortunately I no longer have it on my hard drive I am afraid.
I think that this is the issue. Maybe I will describe how (I think) one can replicate it:
One needs a supplier with at least two goods types (lets say milk and honey) and also consumers for those goods both being located by the river. Build a two tile canal stops for them and get a seagoing vessel that can access rivers (Schooner should do). Add holds in the following manner M,M,M,H,H,H. Some of the holds will never be loaded (two honey holds probably). I think that this is not a case in seaports.
As a side effect I think you will find that the numbers will get huge after some time. 

Unfortunately I will not be able to compile a new version and create a save game for some time. I am sorry about that.

jamespetts

Given your description, this does appear to be an issue relating to the holds making the vessels too long for the stops.

Spenk009

Larger ships encourages larger docks and a bit of forethought when it comes to planning routes. Granted, it's not very intuitive but there is a display in the depot/docks window showing the convoy length.

killwater

I do believe they are treated as too long for the stop despite the stop being two tiles long.

killwater

Hello
The bug is still there/back. This time I do not have any river stations.
I am playing the current version from: http://server.exp.simutrans.com/
After reloading the Intransit amount drops to normal. This
bug causes supply chain disruptions - factories stop demanding sensible amounts of goods.
One common thing is using ships with add on holds combined with trains. I did not noticed it on any other transport type.

jamespetts

You refer to "this bug" being "there/back": the conclusion of the thread before this new post was that there was no bug at all, but that the issues described were caused by boats being too long for the stops, so I am somewhat confused by what you mean. Is this in fact a fresh bug report? If so, I will need full details of how to reproduce this reliably (and I will need to split the post into a new topic). If not, I will need to understand more precisely what you mean.

killwater

Oh no, that was not what I meant. There definitely is a bug. as in-transit number should not be that big (please correct me if I am wrong). I do believe that it is affecting the industry demand though sadly I cannot prove it.

As for the former reports the problem is as follows:
- If I use docks (sea type not river type) with a schooner it loads in full even if the dock is one tile long (I do not know if this is correct or not).
- On the rivers seagoing ships were not fully loaded despite the stop being two tiles long (I think this is a bug ).
- In both cases the in transit number goes ballistic as long as a multiple hold vessel is used (I think this is a bug ). This may affect industry demand.

Please see reply #9 to know how to reproduce it.

jamespetts

Have you actually checked whether each stop is long enough for each convoy? The sea going convoys might be longer than two stops if you have attached a lot of holds. You can see the number of station tiles required for each convoy in the depot window.

killwater

Currently all the schooners I have are in the 2 tile long setup (all holds fitted), however I only use one tile "ocean" docks placed on the sea-side slope. They load all the holds without any problems but strange things happen to in transit number in the charts.

As for the river issue I have just done some testing and I think I have finally found what is wrong. Whether the watercraft loads or not depends on which tile of the (two tile long) stop you click in the schedule.

By the way it would be super useful if they gave error message when they are too long as the trains do.

jamespetts

Thank you very much for investigating: this is most helpful.